Stern drive concerns

jgerardi

Seaman
I am getting ready to launch for the season here in NY. I drained the oil in my outdrive and it was cloudy milky. Clearly water. I put the oil in a clear container to see how much. Although there is some cloudyness in the bottom of the container (2 inches) . There is no actual separation of water and oil. From what i am understanding, it does not take too much water to cause the oil to become very cloudy.
I pressurized the stern to 15lbs and found leakage at the top cover where the dipstick is. I removed the cover and found some corrosion around the gasket. I cleaned everything up quite well and put it all back together. I then repressurized it and it held 15lbs for several hours. I then pulled a vacuum to 15". It did not hold but dropped to about 9" and then held. I know from my years working in refrigeration that moisture will cause this to not hold a good vacuum. Since it was holding at 9, i thought i would go ahead and fill it. ( i have to take the boat out again in about a month to have it bottom painted so i can check it then to see if there is water getting in).
Now, i put water into the flush connection and started it up. I am getting water from the stern drive exhaust which is clearly ok. From around the props which i believe is normal as well. From the exhaust bellow (a problem), and from under the sterndrive where the bottom anode is mounted. (im not sure if this is normal)
Can anyone give me any insight on all of this?

JG

Bondo

Staff member
From the exhaust bellow (a problem), and from under the sterndrive where the bottom anode is mounted.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Ya don't say which Volvo drive, but I know some volvo exhaust bellows come with holes in 'em,.....
'n if the exhaust bellows has holes, 'n leaks, I'd think you'd see splashed/ sprayed water All 'round the lower drive area,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
When was the last time the drive was removed and the input shaft and u-joints inspected?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Iā€™d splash and run the drive for a day or so, then take home and drain again and see if he water has returned. If so, you may have to address professionally. If not, you may have gotten lucky. The water coming out of the drive in several locations is normal.

wrench 3

Commander
Just one think is bothering about your story. It's normal to change the drive oil in the fall when you're winterizing, not in the spring. If there is moisture in there you don't want it rusting things up over the off season. Also it may not get quite as cold there as it does up here but I'd still think you'd be worried about any water freezing and cracking a housing.

jgerardi

Seaman
My drive is a Volvo Penta DPS-A. I did find that the holes in the exhaust below are normal. Since i have only owned the boat since January, i dont know a great deal about the history other than the person i bought the boat from took very good care of it. I have the maintenance records and will go through them.
Since i bought the boat in January in Fla and brought it up here in the end of march i didnt do the oil changes until now.
Since the drive does hold pressure and vacuum (although a little bit low on the vacuum) im thinking it will take a bit of time before any water shows up.
Another question someone might be able to answer for me. Where does the boat actually pick up the raw water for cooling? Is it only from the inlets on each side of the drive? Does anyone know where i can find some sort of diagram that shows the path of the water through the system?

harringtondav

Commander
Cloudy gear lube means water has entered the drive. There are several sealed areas that could be weak. Gear lube additives emulsify the water to ensure lubrication when water is present. The emulsified water will settle at the bottom of the drive or container.

To repeat the good advice above, replace the drain, fill and dip stick seals, and grease the top cover O ring and groove and refill. Run the boat for several hours, 5-10, let it set for a few days and recheck the lube's condition. Milky oil will mean that a drive reseal job is on the horizon. Depending on your hrs of use in a season, you can delay this repair by more frequent lube changes, but eventually it will be needed.

Per Scott Danforth you should pull the drive and check for water and rusty parts on the drive shaft assy, and gimbal bearing condition. Oil in the bellows means a bad drive seal.

jimjimmyjam

Recruit
When I trim up after pulling out of the water my sx drive pours water from more spots than I can count, has since brand new so I wouldnt worry about that. This might not be the best advise but here goes. I have been there with previous boats. If you trailer your boat and it does not stay in the water it is very easy to check the gear oil, drain a little out and top off with fresh oil. A small leak will not keep me off the water. However I am typically on small lakes not more than a mile maybe 2 from shore. Salt water or great lakes I dont think I would feel the same though. Fresh cover seals, orings and check the oil before each launch and you will be just fine. Drain and refill all gear oil when winterizing is a must if you dont get it fixed! I had an old outboard with a leaky lower unit for 3 years before I traded up šŸ˜† milky oil is better than no oil

jimjimmyjam

Recruit
I want to add, if you have money to spend and dont mind the down time without your boat than the right thing to do is get it fixed.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Whenever you change the lube, change out all the o-rings around the plugs and dipstick.