2001 VP 5.7L GSI DP in limp mode

colrhino

Recruit
My port Volvo engine in my Chris Craft 320E will not accelerate above 2400 rpm. Oil pressure gauge shows good pressure and does not fluctuate much (about 2-3 psi, normal for the 10 years I’ve owned it). Water temp shows good also. Suspect bad oil pressure sensor and/or water temp sensor causing motor to “think” it’s either overheating or has low oil pressure and thus limiting rpm’s to protect motor? Where are these sensors located on the motor and how do I positively identify them, and where to buy replacements? Thanks y’all.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 01 has 2 oil pressure senders one right above the oil filter boss on the side of block, and the 2nd one is back topside of block by distributor- looks like a bell. The water temp sensor is on thermostat housing and a 2nd one is to the left of the thermostat housing on intake looking at the front of motor. I think the redundant sensors are for the guages at helm.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
s-l64.jpg
s-l200.jpg

Oil senders

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Probably the oil sender located under rear of port manifold, I've had it go out twice. Just disconnect wire from sender and run it to test or ohm meter. Should have continuity to ground with no pressure but open with pressure.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There are as indicated two water temp sensors and two oil pressure sensors. One of each feeds your dash gauges and “tell tales”. These are independent from the temp and oil pressure sensors that feed the engine control unit. Sounds like one of the other of the sensors feeding the control unit are not working properly either due to a bad sensor or a wiring issue with one or the other. You could further narrow down with a mechanical oil pressure gauge and an infrared thermometer to ensure your dash gauges are indicating properly.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
What do you mean these are independent of the sensors that feed your ecu?? Are you saying there are 3 of each then?...mine only has 2.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No. There are a total of four sensors. One oil sensor feeds the dash gauge and another feeds the ecu. On my 5.7 GSI the sensor that feeds the dash gauge is on the too back of the engine next to the distributor. The other is located on the port side of the engine near the oil filter. This is for the ecu. There are two temp sensors. One is on the manifold. This is for the dash gauge and the other is located on the top front of the engine on the thermostat housing.