Any merits in testing manifold/riser prior to final install??

stouchton

Seaman Apprentice
So I am a little paranoid about the castings, and worried about major issues I cannot see. Thinking of running water thru them and checking manifold passage for leaks.

I think the easiest way to do this is actually with them installed - albeit with the manifold loose on studs instead of being bolted tight to engine. My idea would be to hook the manifold water inlet to a garden hose, turn the hose on and let it run for 10 minutes or so forcing water thru the manifold and riser and out the exhaust passage.

Figured with the manifold loose, I would spot any leak either from the castings, or from sealing the riser to the manifold.

So, putting my paranoia aside, is this even worth doing - or does someone have a better idea???

stouchton

Seaman Apprentice
I agree with you - since it will easily creep thru the smallest crack.

But I was curious just to find a gross issue - thinking I could pan that out with water pressure. Thought that might allow me to gauge the quality of the seal between riser and manifold at the same time.

I had a bum Osco once, and you could not see where the problem was. Just trying to find a way to not experience that again.

Thought a bore scope would have merits, just too many twists and turns to really see all of it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
IF I was going to test the manifold + elbow assembled to make sure the gasket wasn't leaking (assuming not a dry joint) I would test it off the boat, just use hose pressure, and look in the exhaust ports that line up with the exhaust ports in the cyl heads, to see if any water trails appear. Using Acetone, I'm not sure I'd do it if the parts were assembled, because it could perhaps affect the sealing quality of the gasket. To check the manifold alone sure acetone is better, I've done it a few times with my old OMC batwings back when I still had them.