What are these?

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just ordered OEM manifolds. I know the one is a plug and the other elbow is for the water hose. Which is the same as the barr manifolds I am replacing. On the new manifold there is also a drain hole in the middle of the manifold right on the bottom. I would assume one of those other goes into there. One is a reduction sleeve which wont plug. The other blue plastic piece screws into that reduction sleeve or directly into the bottom of the manifold. Can someone please tell me where these go? The diagram for my 1998 5.0gi manifold doesn't show the hole on the bottom of the manifold.
Thanks.

Attachments

• photo310694.jpg
    photo310694.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Thalasso

Commander
Does this help?

sORfZ1P.jpg

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does this help?

sORfZ1P.jpg

No.
I think I figured it out though... the blue plug is 3849500 which is plastic. It screws into the reduction sleeve. I'm not sure why there wouldn't just be a brass plug and you're putting a lot of faith into a plastic plug... just curious.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The blue plugs have been used for decades. All they are is manifold drains for winterizing and have little or no water pressure behind them. About the only time they fail is when they aren't put back in during summerizing.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Looks like they added a drain in the middle in addition to having the plug on the far end of it like the Barr manifolds. Might be easier to get at but when you drain the starboard side, cover the starter with a plastic bag or else the water will run right into the starter. My old OMC batwings were like that. I actually prefer the drain on the rear of the manifold as the Barrs have becuae if it ever leaks it will not leak right on the starter terminals (happened to me once) or on a spark plug (if in salt water that causes big problems).