1993 4.3 Volvo Penta stalls when increasing power over 1400 rpms

rperla

Seaman
When gears engaged will stall from 1400 rpm and above. If in slip not under load will rise in rpms not when in gear. Recently, rebuilt carb. What could it be,

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’m thinking the carb maybe rebuilt for a reason. That and what you described might make me think you are getting blocked at the fuel tank pick up with crap.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree my first thought is carb

When you pump the throttle can you see fuel squirt down the throat of the carb?
With the motor running and in gear, can you pump the throttle a little and get to higher rpm, or does it die quick or slow?
What carb, Holley 2 bbl maybe?
Does it idle smooth?

rperla

Seaman
It dies quick. Then it will restart quick and again run at low rpm and die again if I raise the rpms. I have not looked at the gas entering the carb when in gear. It has the electronic choke, could that be involved.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't think its the choke. You can put in gear and idle around with no issues

If it's dying quick like turning the key off would be electrical. Look at the shift linkage to see if its moving close to some wires. VP's don't use shift interrupter's, so it has to be something that is killing spark

It it's dying quick but not like turning the key off, then maybe fuel

rperla

Seaman
Actually, it stalls after warming up an raising above 1200 rpms even if it isn't in gear. I had the carb rebuilt again, there was some gunk in the bottom, the mechanic has not informed me yet if this solved the problem. Is there any sensors or other vacuum type of things that would cause the engine to stall? This is a 1993 4.3 Volvo Penta

Attachments

• photo312205.jpg
    photo312205.jpg
    873.4 KB · Views: 0

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi.
Only reason I’m thinking about the fuel pick up is that I’ve had this on two different boats.
Both boats I got fairly cheap after they were sitting unused for a number of years. One of them I am ashamed to admit, I was filling with fuel from cars that had been scrapped so fuel was of doubtful quality. Turns out on both occasions the fuel pick up pipe was being blocked by debree. She would idle fine bit when you increase the fuel demand the more suction there was at the tank. The more crap got sucked against the pick up pipe and the gauze it had over it. Hence the blockage.
One of the boats, I totally cleaned out the tank by sucking all the crap out it through the fuel sender unit hole. The other, I ashamed to say (was only a boy), I just raised the pick up pipe an inch or two further off the bottom of the tank !
worth a look.