Part it out or donate? 1986 Renken AQ125 270 drive

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Should I part it out or donate? 1986 Renken AQ125 270 drive.
I have not checked with charities yet to see if they even want this old of a boat.
My engine is worn out, again, and rebuilding these little motors has gotten too expensive.
Did not splash it yet this year, but it;s been in the water every season till now.

What are your thoughts?

harringtondav

Commander
I'd check eBay for prices on your drive and/or components. There is a decent market for good used parts. It may be worth your time and trouble to tear it down and sell, but you'll still have the hull+trailer to deal with.

I don't know how much a charity gets for a boat. Public Television advertises they will take them. Autos normally get crushed for around $200/ton. Not sure if charities work with boat salvagers, or what their cut is. But it's and easy way to get it off your hands.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Boat angel sells boats like this on eBay all the time. Advertised straight up owners says it doesn't run etc.. might be able to sell on Craigslist as handy mans special. I bough mine with a known cracked block this way, knew exactly what I was getting in to and how much a new base engine was. For the right guy can work out well.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
I'm also thinking craigslist after I splash it. I just remembered I do not itemize deductions for federal taxes, so I'd get no tax deduction, but I would be rid of the boat legally.

Veterans donation kept asking me about the trailer, even after telling them I had no trailer! Sent me an e-mail form to complete and again asked for trailer pictures in bold lettering.

The parts I've looked at on ebay are getting no bids :-(