Manifold/riser installation question

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I needed new manifold and risers. I purchased the tall 11.3" risers and found OEM for those. I went with barr manifolds. The manifolds came in today and the mounting surfaces of the manifolds are painted. Some of the paint has come off already... looks like it was just chipped off or flaked off due to a poor paint job... no metal primer underneath or anything. My question is... should I grab some sand paper and a block and sand these down to bare metal? The surfaces on the OEM risers are bare metal and I know that it is important to have these machine flat. I can feel it with my fingernail that the surface is not even. If the gasket is to be put on dry that would lead me to believe that even a gasket sealant could cause leakage so why they would paint the surface is beyond me.
lastly, are the torque specs the same for the tall risers as they are for the standard?
Thanks.

Attachments

• photo310405.jpg
    photo310405.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, that or wire wheel

After removing paint, take a straight edge and check for flatness. Some of the non-OEM mans have had slight issues

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
I just did mine last weekend. I sanded them with a sanding block and 80 grit paper per the Volvo spec. I also coated both surfaces lightly with the copper spray a gasket stuff before using the newer style metal gaskets VP recommends. I threw the gaskets that came with the Barr manifolds away.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used the copper spray last time which Volvo does NOT recommend. I think I'm going to follow the booklet and do what's recommended.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I guess this isn't cool?

Attachments

• photo310431.jpg
    photo310431.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Almost looks like a plastic protective film of some sort. The Barr manifolds/elbows I installed in '17 were very good in terms of the flatness of the gasket surfaces.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
that looks like its in the coating and not the metal itself

Dont know... the coating would have to be pretty thick. What i do know is if I start removing paint I own them.... I'm not paying for the resurfacing of brand new manifolds.
do the OEM manifolds come withthe matting surfaces painted? The risers didn't.

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
I think that photo shows some packaging marks in the paint. I sanded mine with 80 grit at the exhaust ports as well because of the unevenness of the paint. I would have left the paint had it been clean, but it wasn't even close. I think you are seeing the same thing. You probably don't need to have them machined, but a sanding block and 80 grit paper are your best friends right now.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought the gaskets 2 months ago which came with an installation booklet on how to install... nothing indicates spray gasket.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
As of 2013 Volvo does recommend the copper spray a gasket rather than dry.

My bad. I was thinking you were talking about the gasket between the manifold and riser... you are correct with the copper spray on the manifold... riser is dry.

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
Not sure where you are seeing "Riser is Dry". Service Bulletin

Group Number Version

25-1 16 01

Exhaust Riser Gasket

Gas Engines

Distribution: M Date: 04-2010 Binder: C

Applies to all gas engines with iron exhaust manifolds,

1993 to present.

Does not apply to catalyst gas engines.

Does not apply to pre-joint venture gas engines.

The procedure for installing the riser gaskets has been

updated to improve sealing. The new procedure was

implemented in production in April 2010. The new procedure

should also be used whenever installing riser gaskets during

normal service or repair work.

Change to Procedure:

Before installing a riser gasket, coat the mating surfaces of

both the manifold and the riser with a copper-based, heatresistant

gasket compound.

Examples:

Permatex Copper Spray-a-Gasket® (80697)

K&W Copper Coat® (401612)

Aerosol or brush-on applications are both acceptable.

Install the riser gasket and then finish the repair according to

the instructions or workshop manual.

Volvo Penta of the Americas

1300 Volvo Penta Drive

Chesapeake, Virginia 23320-9810

Exhaust Riser Gasket

Gas Engines

Distribution: M Date: 04-2010 Binder: C

Service Bulletin

Group Number Version

25-1 16 01

Volvo Penta of the Americas Group Number Version Page

Service Bulletin 25-1 16 01 2(2)

V6 and V8

Riser gaskets for V6 and V8 engines are sold in a kit,

3863191 (see P-25-1-1) which contains two gaskets and

instructions. The instructions have been revised to include

the updated procedure.

IMPORTANT! The instructions contain detailed steps for

surface preparation, gasket installation and torque that are

necessary for proper sealing of the gaskets. If these steps

are not followed, leakage at the gasket may occur.

3.0L

Use the procedure listed in the workshop manual, adding the

step about coating the bare metal gasket surfaces with

gasket compound.

Attachments

• VP25-1-16_A1 riser gasket.jpg
    VP25-1-16_A1 riser gasket.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 22

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was referring to the detailed instructions that come with the kit 3863191. I asked the Volvo dealer in my area and they also stated to follow the instructions to a t. My concern now is that the bulletin that you posted looks as though it is a modification to the instructions that come withthe kit. I think I'm going to use the copper spray a gasket. Thanks for the detailed information.

One last question. Torque specs in the workshop manual say manifolds 20-26 ft lbs. Risers are only 12-18 ft pounds... is that correct? Seems rather low to me. Also would this change now with the installation of the tall risers?
Thanks again.

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
This is far too low. My documentation shows 30 ft lbs in a crossing pattern done at minimum twice for insurance. This is the procedure I follow.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think the confusion is that there were 2 different styles of exhaust riser gaskets and 2 sets of instructions. The kind in the previously posted service bulletin are the older style that are like the Barr gaskets, these require sealer. The newer style referenced in post #16 do not require sealer, but the sealing surfaces have to be perfect for them to work....

Last edited: