1998 Chaparral 2835 Carburetor Mystery

rwweeden

Recruit
1998 Chaparral 2835
Engines: Volvo Penta Black/Grey 5.7L GSI PBYCCE

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who can help me solve this mystery. About a year ago we purchased a 1998 Chaparral 2835 at a really good price. She worked great all summer. Fall was another story.. I was cruising around the lake at a nice ~4000 RPM when the port engine lost power and started to seriously backfire.

Today I finally got around to looking at the fuel system. Turns out someone has Frankensteined this beauty with a straight bore elelbrock carburetor... barf!. From the intake manifold pattern, I can tell that the engine came stock with a quadrajet.

I went to the volvo penta webstore to find the oem carb for my engine, and unfortunately it returned looks to be a 2 barrel carb that does not match my intake manifold. obviously the website is wrong.. and I know this year / model had a few confusing engine changes.

Can someone please help me find the OEM carb for this boat? I'm guessing that it is something like a 650 CFM Rochester Quadrajet.. but thats based on how i would configure a car with a 5.7L engine with a quadrajet.

Thanks for the help!

-Ryan

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’m confused here. If the details in your profile are accurate, you have a GSI tbi fuel injected engine ? Are you saying someone has put a carb on it ?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Maybe I’ve got this wrong after having a few beers, but the GSI I’m sure is a single point throttle body injection engine and wouldn’t be a carb originally. The whole set up in terms of intake manifold and fuel delivery is different from a carb for sure. Have a google at the VP GSI engine and merc efi engine.

rwweeden

Recruit
Guys, thanks for the quick responses. I too was shocked and baffled when I realized that these weren't fuel injected engines. i spent quite a bit of time looking for a deleted 02 sensor, and anything that resembled an ecu/dme... or where it might have been.... with no luck. i slowly came to the realization that this must have been a clever marketing technique..

The most official source i can find for what should be OEM is here:
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Carb...on_id.003136982--store_id.366--view_id.770804

But this is a 2 barrell holly from the looks of it... so surely it can't be right.

the only other scenario i can imagine is highly unlikely in my opinion... someone changed the intake manifolds on both engines and fitted em up with the wrong carbs... that would be crazy right?!?

QBhoy, i had a google but didn't find any good literature on the GSI engines... i need some beers too

Thanks for the help so far!

Bondo

Staff member
Can someone please help me find the OEM carb for this boat? I'm guessing that it is something like a 650 CFM Rochester Quadrajet..

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... My guess is, there's little to nothing Oem about yer motors,.....
considerin' it was originally Efi,....

It's a 20 year old boat,..... Mercruiser used to use Quadra-jets, before the went to the AFBs,.....

What induction is on the other motor,..??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Volvo uses holley carbs. However since the motors were originally EFI, all bets are off