V6-200 SX Corrosion/paint bubbling

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
If it were me, I`d do it myself. I sand down and repaint my drive about every year, fairly easy to do. Make sure you get new Magnesium anodes.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update: I got my money back from the marina pretty easily, almost suspiciously easy. At any rate, that part is behind me. So now the question is cleanup. Should I let our dealer take the drive off, clean, repaint for around $1,200 or is that something I can largely tackle at home now that the boat is a trailer queen?
This sounds fishy....I would call the electrical inspector in the area-if they are leaking current into the water some one could get shocked..... It's called Electric Shock Drowning (ESD)!

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
This sounds fishy....I would call the electrical inspector in the area-if they are leaking current into the water some one could get shocked..... It's called Electric Shock Drowning (ESD)!

Yes ESD is a big danger. NEVER swim or allow animals in the water near a marina. But the current the causes it doesn’t usually cause damage to boats (it’s AC). The current that causes corrosion is usually DC at a voltage too low to effect humans or animals.

@imstirker —- if you do decide to do the preparation and painting yourself. Volvo has a prep and paint procedure listed in their service manual that is pretty time consuming and hard to do properly. Because of this I usually only recommend this to high $ or warranty customers. The standard clean, sand, clean, prime, sand, paint process works almost as well.

imstriker

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks. I picked up paint and primer today at the dealer when I picked up the boat. Going to sand down the nasty spots, clean, prime, light sand, clean, and paint. I'm planning on starting down on the skeg since it looks like and easy surface to work on my technique with. It looks like she is going to be a trailer queen this year anyway, so it's not quite as concerning that the work is perfect to me. I can keep a close eye on it. I'll also be putting on magnesium anodes after painting.

tpenfield

Staff member
Update: I got my money back from the marina pretty easily, almost suspiciously easy. At any rate, that part is behind me. So now the question is cleanup. Should I let our dealer take the drive off, clean, repaint for around $1,200 or is that something I can largely tackle at home now that the boat is a trailer queen?

My advice is to spend the few $$ on paint and proper anodes and spend the rest of the $1,200 on beer. :)