SX-M pivot pin frozen in trim ram

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I’m in the process of repainting my outdrive and need to remove the trim rams. The rear pivot pin is completely frozen in one of trim rams and won’t budge. I’ve tried hanging on it with all my weight and nothing. Any tips? Worried about using heat around the trim ram.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
First try spraying Kano Kroil around the hole where the trim ram rod passes through. This usually sits in plastic bushings so be careful with heat. I have used a ball joint splitter (carefully) to get the trim ram to move off of the rod. Just move it enough to spray the Kroil in between and then let it work. When you get it apart coat that trim ram rod with Evinrude triple guard grease.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
First try spraying Kano Kroil around the hole where the trim ram rod passes through. This usually sits in plastic bushings so be careful with heat. I have used a ball joint splitter (carefully) to get the trim ram to move off of the rod. Just move it enough to spray the Kroil in between and then let it work. When you get it apart coat that trim ram rod with Evinrude triple guard grease.

Thanks Lou. I’ve been spraying kroil for a few days now. It’s frozen in the trim ram not the pivot housing. The plastic bushings are on the pivot housing side and they’re loose.
Wondering if I use heat just on the end of the pivot pin if it would help... or heat up the ram too much to melt seals inside?

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Applying heat in that area will help, but will likely damage the grommet and bushing in the ram end. Just buy new ram end grommets and bushings and put the new ones in when you put it back together.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Just to paint the drive, I would not bother removing the ram, I have painted mine many times (anti fouling paint, salt water moorage) and it never looks great but it is what it is. I've never removed that end of mine, ever, I bet they would never come off. I do pull the drive every season so the other end does come off.

Attachments

• photo310262.jpg
    photo310262.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 1