Tall riser conversion

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a 1998 Volvo penta 5.0gipbycce. I replaced that with a gm 5.7 but all the exhaust system is the same including manifolds, risers, y pipe, etc. I'm thinking of going to the taller risers as recommended but I'm having a hard time understanding the bulletin explaining exactly what I need. I dont think that the taller risers will fit because the angle from the risers to the y pipe isn't 90 degrees so if I go up 3 inches it won't line up. Does anyone have any experience in this and can you give me additional parts that may be needed including part numbers? Best I can figure is that in addition to the risers I may have to replace the y pipe and/or the elbow coming off the risers to get it to line up. As far as the bulletin it states that configurations are also based on the outdrive. I have a DP-sm outdrive.
Thanks in advance.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
... I don't think that the taller risers will fit because the angle from the risers to the y pipe isn't 90 degrees so if I go up 3 inches it won't line up...

From the drawings it looks like the taller riser has a shorter outlet so the elbows will still line up. Just need a longer exhaust hose in between.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I planned on the longer exhaust hose... if it were a 90 degree angle between the 2 the hose would be 3 inches longer. My concern is more how it will align... weather they shortened the outlet, changed the angle or both. I cant seem to find the answer.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
From the drawings it looks like the taller riser has a shorter outlet so the elbows will still line up. Just need a longer exhaust hose in between.

Shorter outlet or #10 needs to be shorter as well. I'm just looking for something a little more definite so I dont have to deal with shipping and returning risers that wont work. Thanks for the input.

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry couldn't be of more help, but think the local VP dealer would be able to answer the question

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
No worries. I appreciate the input I got. Thanks again.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like to follow up in case anyone else questions it. I decided to order the tall risers and pray that they lined up. They did. Just needed to get a longer piece of exhaust hose. Thanks for the help!