290 DP will not raise to trailer/beach height

MadMick

Cadet
I AM NEW TO VOLVO OD’s and ENGINES

Parker with a 1996 290 DP with 2017 5.0 GXi
Issue: OD will trim up and down but will not trim up to trailer/beach height
Boat has trim gauge on dash. Also have what I believe is a trim control box (857534) behind the dash. It has a red light and I think an adjusting knob.

The guage moves up and down and is peggs out on either full up/down positions. I push the red button with the up button which I believe is to override and raise the trim into trailer / beach position and it will not raise further. The red light on the control box is red all the time.

I have with help determined that the issues is behind the dash. The relays and everything from there to the dash has checked out.

I did install a new Trim Sensor/Sender Gear Segment Ratchet on the Upper Unit helmet and I believe I linesit up correctly as per the knotch.

Having said all all this I may have messed up and the work and missed determining what the issue may be.

Any guidance would be most appreciated..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Factory drive manual has troubleshooting and setup info

Volvos only trim up to about 8 degrees and tilt up to about 45 degrees. They do not trim up farther without the overide

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ah. The old VP 290 common issue, I suspect. These things are terrible for the valves passing in the pump. The symptoms are that it will not trim up well and overcome its own weight or load of in forward gear. And or will slowly creep down after being left trimmed up. Gravity takes over. All this and you aren’t loosing oil are the symptoms. There are wee tiny ball valves in the pump that wear and don’t hold their pressure.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The pump is an oildyne 108 used by every one. It that is it, its a simple pump