Video of Bellows Replacement

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did a video of my Bellows Replacement on my 2004 SX-M. Trying to help others out. If you want to watch it and give me some feedback, I would appreciate it. And I’m not getting paid by YouTube for the video, just trying to help out like those that have helped me.

https://youtu.be/Ik7fO7rGNfM

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Great vid! A couple suggestions...
the pivot housing pins can be loosened with the drive still on and trim rams still hooked up, this prevents the problem with the pivot housing moving around.
the VP drives can get stuck to the pivot housing where the studs go into the pivot housing. I would smear OMC/Evinrude triple guard grease on the bosses for the studs and the mating surfaces for the drive and pivot. I also use the same grease on the trim ram rod and driveshaft splines. I don’t use loctite on those pivot pins but either OMC gasket sealer or Permatex Aviation sealer. I also use that on the threads of the 6 studs. The sealer keeps water from getting in and causing seizing and corrosion.
I've been maintaining an OMC Cobra in salt water (moored in salt 6 months out of the year) for 15+ years. The OMC/Evinrude triple guard grease is the best water proof grease I have come across and the OMC gasket sealer, will prevent corrosion and seizing of nuts and bolts on an outdrive that is submerged in water much of the time.

PS the Cobra, and Volvo SX have very similar transom mounts because....OMC and Volvo went into a joint venture in 1993-1994 and they adapted the OMC Cobra transom mount to a cone clutch shifted Volvo drive. This is where the similarity comes from.

Last edited:

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Lou. I’ve added your comments to the video. Those pivot bolts were a pita, but now I will use your advice. Thanks again.