DPX outdrive manual

Rich C.

Recruit
I have a 1994 Chaparral 2250SX Sport with a 8.2GL engine and a Volvo DPX outdrive. I am having a hard time finding a factory service manual for the outdrive.

Engine: 8.2GL PMDM Serial number 4110107171
Drive: Serial number 3102152403
Transom: Serial number 4111505486

All I am doing is changing the bellow on the drive but I would like to have the factory service manual for the outdrive too since I need to pull the upper gear housing off the outdrive. I did find the info in the adult only section about “Replacing bellows on 250 thru DP-E outdrives without removing outdrive” which is how I figured out that I did not have to remove the entire outdrive.

Do I have to buy a DPX manual from a dealer or can I download it form Boatinfo? I looked around on Boatinfo but I could not find a manual for the DPX.

I also looked on Volvo Penta’s website and could not find anything there either.

Thanks
Rich

Rich C.

Recruit
I was proud of myself because I thought I gave all the information that was needed. Well let’s try again.

Outdrive: DPX (AQ)
Model Year: 1994
Outdrive: Serial number 3102152403
When I look up the serial number on Volvo’s website I get the following information:
Product/Part number: 872298
Product Designation: DPX
Product Name: SD2-A-AQ-30
Production Period 1993-1998
Gear Ratio: 1.78:1
Propulsor Type: Duoprop

I also attached a picture of the outdrive.

Is there any other information needed?

Attachments

• photo309690.jpg
    photo309690.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Rich C.

Recruit
I have been to both boatinfo and Volvo’s website.

I don’t see any DPX information on boatinfo. The closes thing I found was the manual for the DP-D and the DP-E and SP-E. The drives shown in those look similar to a DPX. Would either of those two manuals also be for a DPX drive? I am assuming not but I figured I would ask.

Volvo’s site lists very little information for my drive when I enter the serial number. It just shows an electronic parts catalog and nothing else. Actually, when I click on the link for the parts catalog the page it takes me to says that they “don’t have a corresponding Parts Catalog.”

Does anyone have any other thoughts before I go to the dealer for a manual? Hopefully they can get one but I’m sure it won’t be cheap.

It does seem like my DPX drive is somewhat rare. I have not found a lot of information on them. I will give Volvo credit. They have an excellent parts catalog with exploded views, not the link I talked about above a different parts catalog. I just want a manual now.

Thalasso

Commander
Those drives were for high power engines.
You might see them on the older Scarab and Formula boats.
DPX 500 and the DPX 600. Rated at 475 and 560 propeller shaft horsepower respectively, these two power packs are intended for high-speed boats
DPX 385 and DPX 415, each number being indicative of its prop shaft horsepower rating.
Volvo Penta has dropped their "High Performance" designation and now simply labels them DPX Series.

The Drives are obsolete.
Was discontinued by Volvo and Innovation Marine (,https://www.innovation-marine.com/) who built the engines for Volvo, due to the amount of drive failures.

Don't know if this will help
https://www.manualslib.com/products/...5-9226215.html Volvo Penta Parts Manual

DP, DPX

Last edited: