Aq170 no spark. Coil has 12v but not throwing spark.

Nomoneyz

Recruit
I recently came into this boat from my father in law. It's a 1973 trihull style with open bow. Has the volvo/penta I/O set up with a aq170 i6 and the 280 out drive. It's in decent shape and one owner. Has 550hrs. I did basic maintenance so far like oil change, spark plugs, rebuilt carbs, fuel filter and fresh fuel. Points look ok and are within spec. Had it running and was trying to tune the carbs because it had a bog and backfire when punching the throttle. Timing is in spec according to the sticker on the valve cover. Last time I shut it down to make adjustments to the linkage it wouldn't restart. I know I have fuel and air. I have checked for spark and am not getting any from the coil. The coil has 12v with key on. Not sure how exactly to test the coil further. I read through one sticky about diag and tried measuring resistances and disconnecting wires from the coil and trying for spark and nothing gave me spark. I'm leaning towards a dead coil but would like some opinions on this issue from some more experienced people. Thanks.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Take negative wire off coil (from points) put ohm meter connecting this wire to ground, turn over engine should see points make and break contact as engine turns. Bet they are corroded and not opening and closing the circus to build up energy in coil. I'm sure you can google coil primary and secondary typical ohms to test, but rarely the coil fails.... does happen just ohm it out before replacing.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... File the points,..... they're glazed over,......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
^+1..... Like Bondo stated, your points need some love

every spring you need to file the points, set the gap, check and adjust dwell. if you do not have a points file, use your wifes nail file.

Nomoneyz

Recruit
Thanks everyone. Upon closer inspection the points are worn. Nobody local has any so I'll order some. I cleaned them up and got it to fire up, but it's not running right yet.
I am having a hard time finding any info on specs for this engine as far as carb tuning, out of water timing at idle, idle speed out of water and in, right now it will idle kinda choppy like it might have a miss every now and then. When you stab the throttle it bogs and backfires. Rolling into the throttle is ok and once the rpms are up a bit I can punch it. The carbs are freshly rebuilt and the accelerator pump is working. I get a nice stream of fuel when pressing the throttle.
might be ignition related since the points are worn. I'm going to stop messing with the carbs till I get the ignition sorted.
Any ideas?