1999 Volvo-Penta SX outdrive dipstick

So, like so many others, the thread are stripped on my Volvo-Penta dipstick. I just purchased the boat used in August 2018. When I changed the outdrive oil, it had water in it. I had driven it a few times prior to the change without issue and I think the water entered thru the dipstick. While the dipstick is nice, is there any reason why I can't use some good marine grade caulk to seal it shut? This is much cheaper than replacing the cover and dealing with shims. I previously had a Mercruiser outdrive and like the simplicity of the Volve Penta. I'm actually looking forward to changing the shift cable in a few weeks. Advice on the dipstick and general advice on what to look for before putting the boat in the water is appreciated.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
One thing you could try is a partial heli-coil repair from the bottom of the cover that doesn't disturb the O-ring sealing surface (i.e. don't run the drill all the way through the hole from the bottom). Sealing it permanently would prevent you from being able to check the oil level, which would be pretty risky given the cost and damage if you lost oil. Plus, I wouldn't trust the sealant.

I would first pressure test the drive to determine where the leak is actually coming from.

If it were me, I'd try the repair above if it felt like it was going to be robust. Otherwise I'd pop for a new cover, seal, and some shims. Given the important function of the cover and dipstick, I think the cost is relatively minimal.