Unavailable Part ? 5.7GSPLKD Main Bearings

TNParrothead

Cadet
Does anyone have any suggestions on finding main/rod bearings for my motor ? 5.7GSPLKD........VP Store shows part # 3856154. I cant find them anywhere. Very frustrating

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is a GM small block, nothing special about the bearings. VP doesn't make them.

Bondo

Staff member
Does anyone have any suggestions on finding main/rod bearings for my motor ? 5.7GSPLKD........VP Store shows part # 3856154. I cant find them anywhere. Very frustrating

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... 'bout any automotive machine shop can fix ya up,......

Why are you swappin' out the mains, 'n rod bearin's,..??
Has everything been measured, 'n spec'ed,..??
Any machine work done,..??

TNParrothead

Cadet
I am installing new cam, heads intake and carb. I just figured I could go ahead and do main and rod bearing since it’s already down that far. I’ve got the motor out and on a stand.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
$120 for a standard clevite set $200 for a coated set from ANY auto parts store.

however you are opening a can of worms, if you dont have an issue, dont mess with it. bearings should last over 3500 hours on the motor (the rings will go first). so if you are just doing cam, heads and intake, you dont even need to touch the lower end.

TNParrothead

Cadet
Thanks for the advice. I didn’t really want to get into bottom end anyways. I guess I was over thinking things. It’s always been a great motor. I am going with a Comp XM270HR, Vortec Heads w/BeeHive Springs, Edlebrock Performer Intake and Carb. I would like to upgrade the ignition, but I don’t really know what to go with yet. I did Thru Hull Exhaust last year.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ahh if you are changing to a higher lift cam....don't forget to check for coil bind...there is a long thread in the Merc I/O forum, about this. Short version is depending on the springs used, if coil bind exists it will cause your engine to break rocker arm studs.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for the advice. I didn’t really want to get into bottom end anyways. I guess I was over thinking things. It’s always been a great motor. I am going with a Comp XM270HR, Vortec Heads w/BeeHive Springs, Edlebrock Performer Intake and Carb. I would like to upgrade the ignition, but I don’t really know what to go with yet. I did Thru Hull Exhaust last year.

the 270 is on raged edge of reversion.

nothing gained by upgrading the ignition

as Lou mentioned, check coil bind. the bee hive springs are close, however nothing beats properly machining the heads.

TNParrothead

Cadet
Thanks for all of the help guys. I’m still waiting on my heads to get back from the machine shop, but I’m hoping to start doing a few things this weekend. My cam, springs, etc... came in yesterday. 👍🏼

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
This sounds like another Free Be Tony coil bind/rocker stud breakage thread

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I thought the same thing. If I re-power because my top end overhaul does not last I am just going to get a new GM Marine 4.3, bolt up the Holley 4160 I have sitting in the garage and go boating.