Can’t find a repair manual for a 2014 Volvo Penta 5.0(270) with a SX 1.60 drive

Coltrickle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have drive oil leaking out of my top bellows boot. I assume it is the seal around the shaft where it enters the outdrive. I would like to repair it myself but can not find a manual for anything newer than a 2012. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fun Times

Staff member
If you are able to post all your serial numbers from Volvo then maybe iboats member muc would be able to help locate the Volvo OEM manual part numbers for you to order up.

Coltrickle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will uncover the boat this weekend and get the numbers off of the engine. Thanks for your help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Go to the volvo penta website. Use your motor serial number to get motor manuals. (There are a few) Use drive serial number to get the drive manuals (maintenance an service(

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It’s a Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi from what you have given so far. Start there in the mean time.

Coltrickle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is what I have found. I have a trim cylinder leaking as well as gear oil on the forward side of the drive. I have included pics. The pic of the bellows is where I believe the drive shaft seal is leaking and exiting at the bellows. I have also included the serial numbers in a pic. Thanks for all of your help.

Attachments

• photo309371.jpg
    photo309371.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Coltrickle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Drive is a 1.60 SX-A serial number is A280128 product number is 3883601. Sorry for the multiple post I could not get my pictures to load.

Coltrickle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for the manual. One quick question. Are I/O’s like Automobiles in the sense that the engines are only upgraded every few years which is why I have a 2014 boat with a 2012 engine model?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Here is how it works.

Volvo Penta buys long block motors from GM. they buy them by a rail car full. they then build them up into either a bob-tail (motor without a drive) or a long-tail (motor with a drive).

from there, a boat company places an order for a truck load or two of motors that they will need for production.

sometimes the motor sat a few months at Volvo before being built into a marine motor. sometimes it sits after being built while waiting for more motors to be built to fulfill a shipment.

sometimes the motor sat a few months more at the boat company prior to getting placed into a boat hull. then the boat could be built at the end of a calendar year, therefor being the following model year.

sometimes things like an economic slow down occur and the pipeline was full prior

a good example is the 8.1 liter. GM quit making them in 2008. Volvo had enough of these long blocks to offer the 8.1 until 2015 because the lead time of the motor required buying so many motors ahead. Volvo purchased extra motors to get them thru the development of the LS 6.2 motors as well. When the economic slow down of 2008 hit, Volvo had plenty of inventory to carry them thru to 2015. there are 2015 Volvo Penta 8.1's that were built at the GM plant in 2008. some of those are sitting in un-sold boats somewhere on a showroom floor today.

Coltrickle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Grear piece of information. Thanks for all the help. I will get back to you all when I start repairing the drive.

Thalasso

Commander
In 2012 they were called V- Series Engines (39 engines) No 5.0 model
Yours V8-270. There are 8 engine model in this class. I think what they did was just list the engine as to what HP it had

Coltrickle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok. I have removed the drive but have found some issues. There was a whole in the universal joint bellows allowing water in as well as oil leaking out around my shaft seal where the shaft goes into my outdrive. There is some odd wear marks on my u joints at the exact spot my bellows has a whole. What could this be from?? How could this have happened. Boat is a 2014 but probably less that 75 hours and never had anything other than maintenance performed.

Coltrickle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am unable to upload the photo. I am getting a message that it exceeds the file size. However there is wearmarks at the edge of the ujoint coupler that aligns with the middle section of the bellows where the whole is worn. I found a few small shavings in the oil water mix in the bellows but can’t seem to figure out what could have caused this where it could only hit rubber.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Do you run the engine with the drive tilted up?

Thalasso

Commander
I am unable to upload the photo. I am getting a message that it exceeds the file size. However there is wearmarks at the edge of the ujoint coupler that aligns with the middle section of the bellows where the whole is worn. I found a few small shavings in the oil water mix in the bellows but can’t seem to figure out what could have caused this where it could only hit rubber.

What you most likely are seeing in the bellows is grease that has been watered down. It comes from the splines on the shaft.
If you had gear oil leaking most likely you would see water in the drive oil

I posted a service manual link

Scott Danforth

Staff member
You havent been following te maintenance schedule or there would already be the third set of bellows installed.

Mainenance schedule from volvo is new bellows at year 3, and every other year after. Drive gets pulled every year for inspection of u-joints, gimble, bellows, etc

Coltrickle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have ran the drive at idle and full trim due to shallow water in the fall.

As for my maintenance i have have never owned an inboard but have taken it to a shop where I bought it new every year for service and maintenance and have never had those changed. Only water pump, fluids, belt, and winterization.