Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volvo penta SX coupler or cone clutch went bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lou C View Post
    All good suggestions to which I'll add, take a look at the gear oil and compare to new gear oil of the same type. Is it the same color? If its a lot darker, then that might be a sign of a cone clutch slipping and burning the gear oil. If it looks like new gear oil then a slipping cone clutch seems unlikely (good thing!)
    Thanks for all suggestions. Just came back from the garage and will try to answer.
    1. Oil - checked and looks like new (to keep in mind is that the boat has run about 1 hour since change)
    2. The boat dosent stay in water (at least not during my time) - no growth at the hull but some marks ofc. Will take care of that before the season starts.
    3. Yes SX has rubber hub in the prop but since I tried with 3 different props I can exclude that.

I´ll attach some pictures of hull and sterndrive. However I´m wondering about the exhaust, for what I know when reving the engine both cooling water and exhaust should go through the sterndrive and not come out through the bellow. I tried today and most water definitly goes through the bellow at the beginning of the sterndrive and just a small portion comes through the prop - could it be that if the exhaust comes out through the bellow it creates some bad airstructure in the water behind the boat? Ever heard about that before?

Also i seems like the stern perhaps is a bit high according to the hull, however I cant see any traces of rebuilding since new..

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Rickard.Sjostrom; March 5th, 2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Being an 18 footer there isn't a lot of weight and it has a deep V hull. The vent plate once trimmed out to level is at the bottom of the V. If it had some more weight it may stay planted more. Any prop which gives more lift just makes things worst

Click image for larger version

Name:	vpsx.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	10710633
      Don't see an issue with the exhaust, its working as designed
      94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
      95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
      07 Seadoo GTX
      Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
      G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment