Duo Prop lower unit removal.

jimbabwe

Cadet
Engine is a 2006 5.7gxi with duo prop outdrive. Can I remove the lower unit without taking the complete outdrive off the boat. I hit a rock and need the skeg repaired. Any other advise on this job would help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How many places can weld that without removing the outdrive.

jimbabwe

Cadet
My question was I want to "take off the lower unit without taking the whole outdrive off" The welder doesn't want the whole outdrive just the lower unit so if I can take it off without removing the whole thing it would be an easier job. If it's possible.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
You can just remove the lower half of the drive. You will need to drain the drive oil first and purchase new seals to replace the old with.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
On the Volvo, since the shifting is in the upper gear housing you can remove the lower unit without removing the whole outdrive. However, keep in mind that when you reassemble it, you have to line up both the water tube and the vertical driveshaft. In my experience in doing it on the OMC Cobra (very similar other than the shifting is in the lower unit, so you remove the whole thing before splitting the upper from the lower) it is easier to get both lined up if the lower unit is in a drive stand and you lower the upper gear housing down onto it. Also, sometimes it will get stuck on one of the O-rings that seal off the water passage from the oil chamber (esp units used in salt) and so the lower can be tough to get off, esp if not removed for a long time. I rigged up something to make it easier.

Attachments

• photo304283.jpg
    photo304283.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 9

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most places that weld skegs, simply say bring the boat by with the lower drive in-tact. they drain the oil, keep the plug out, use a cold dam and will be applying paint within a half hour.

my last skeg was welded and painted prior to my lunch being finished at the bar next door.