Duo Prop lower unit removal.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duo Prop lower unit removal.

Engine is a 2006 5.7gxi with duo prop outdrive. Can I remove the lower unit without taking the complete outdrive off the boat. I hit a rock and need the skeg repaired. Any other advise on this job would help.

How many places can weld that without removing the outdrive.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My question was I want to "take off the lower unit without taking the whole outdrive off" The welder doesn't want the whole outdrive just the lower unit so if I can take it off without removing the whole thing it would be an easier job. If it's possible.

Comment

You can just remove the lower half of the drive. You will need to drain the drive oil first and purchase new seals to replace the old with.
        Summer Fling-II
        2008 Chaparral Sunesta 264
        Summer Fling
        2003 Chaparral Sunesta 243

Comment

On the Volvo, since the shifting is in the upper gear housing you can remove the lower unit without removing the whole outdrive. However, keep in mind that when you reassemble it, you have to line up both the water tube and the vertical driveshaft. In my experience in doing it on the OMC Cobra (very similar other than the shifting is in the lower unit, so you remove the whole thing before splitting the upper from the lower) it is easier to get both lined up if the lower unit is in a drive stand and you lower the upper gear housing down onto it. Also, sometimes it will get stuck on one of the O-rings that seal off the water passage from the oil chamber (esp units used in salt) and so the lower can be tough to get off, esp if not removed for a long time. I rigged up something to make it easier.
          1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
          4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
          07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

most places that weld skegs, simply say bring the boat by with the lower drive in-tact. they drain the oil, keep the plug out, use a cold dam and will be applying paint within a half hour.

my last skeg was welded and painted prior to my lunch being finished at the bar next door.
            Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
            X