Fuel pump whine

Steiger 25

Cadet
My engine is a 2004 Volvo 5.0 OSI-EF. I replaced the fuel pump approximately 2 years ago. Last year I was getting water in my fuel due to a compromised fuel tank. It took my a while to figure out the source of the water, but I had the tank replaced. I ran fresh fuel through the motor before sending the boat out for the tank replacement.

I got the boat back after several weeks and I started the motor to winterize. The fuel pump made the horrible whining noise for a couple seconds, then cleared up. I then completed my winterizing process, included with my stabilized fuel, a dose of 2 cycle oil and some marvel mystery oil run through the fuel system.

Now I am a few weeks out before uncovering the boat and starting the engine. I will be ordering parts etc. Should I be concerned with the fuel pump? As most of you know these fuel pumps are costly. If I start the engine and it sounds good am I good to go? Should I just change it out for peace of mind?

All my boating is in the ocean off the coast of NJ, so safety is very important to me.

alldodge

Staff member
safety is very important

Even a brand new pump can fail.

In most cases the whine from a fuel pump is caused by air. The air can come from a leak between pump and tank or drain back after the motor is turned off.

Safety is a personal issue and needs to be answered by your self. I don't know if anyone can advise if your pump or motor will have an issue. To mitigated the safety factor, you could bring along a good used or new pump and the tools to change it out.

Steiger 25

Cadet
AllDodge,

I appreciate you taking the time to post your comment. I am sure it had some air in it, as all lines, filters, tank, etc. have been changed before firing the motor. I filled the fuel filter with fuel before starting.

I guess my question would be, did I likely damage the pump while I was trying to diagnose my water in fuel problems? As I pointed out in my initial post, I struggled finding the source of my water in the fuel. I was draining my racor (primary) and my fuel cell filter (secondary) and finding water in both, motor stumbling etc.after a trip or two.Thanks again for your input.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you are boating in a coastal region as I do:
1) tow insurance is a must, I have Boat US towing, used them once in 15 years well worth it.
2) have your GPS and VHF linked up to send a distress call with GPS coordinates
3) yes to spares if you can change it yourself but keep in mind that disconnecting fuel fittings in the bilge of an inboard can be a fire/explosion hazard

I'd keep your first few trips close in to shore, and if no further problems with the pump occur just carry a spare.

alldodge

Staff member
did I likely damage the pump while I was trying to diagnose my water in fuel problems?

I doubt it, if mine sets long enough it always whine's a bit until the fuel fills up.

In most cases the water getting into the fuel tank if not getting in from a gas cap, it comes from a leaking hull or water tank.

When they removed the tank was anything found?

Steiger 25

Cadet
I doubt it, if mine sets long enough it always whine's a bit until the fuel fills up.

In most cases the water getting into the fuel tank if not getting in from a gas cap, it comes from a leaking hull or water tank.

When they removed the tank was anything found?

Yes the tank had a hole in it. It was about the size of a dime. Foamed in tank, leaking deck plates=cut the deck.

Steiger 25

Cadet
If you are boating in a coastal region as I do:
1) tow insurance is a must, I have Boat US towing, used them once in 15 years well worth it.
2) have your GPS and VHF linked up to send a distress call with GPS coordinates
3) yes to spares if you can change it yourself but keep in mind that disconnecting fuel fittings in the bilge of an inboard can be a fire/explosion hazard

I'd keep your first few trips close in to shore, and if no further problems with the pump occur just carry a spare.

Thanks Lou C,
1) I have Boat US towing insurance
2) I have my GPS and VHF linked with DSC.
3) I am leaning towards buying a new aftermarket fuel pump (OEM are crazy expensive). I agree changing it at sea would be challenging, I do not think I would attempt it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I still have one of these...about $100 to replace. Original lasted 30 years!

Attachments

• photo308413.jpg
    photo308413.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Thalasso

Commander
Worry about it if it continues to whine while in use
Until then go boating.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I would not worry about it at this time unless the whine continues. Run the engine at home to make sure the noise goes away before heading to the lake.