bearings and ujoints

tim24

Seaman
Is there a brand of bearings and ujoints that last longer than oem/ volvo penta ones?

harringtondav

Commander
You'll get varied responses here. No boat mfg. or anyone else makes their own bearings or Unis. I'm assuming you're talking about gimbal bearings. Link Belt makes them. U joints are made by many manufacturers.

Here is where I may get some disagreement. Sierra sells good outdrive parts. I've never had a problem. The link is to Sierra's parts catalogue. Go to page 898-900 for your parts. Most likely they are available here at iBoats.

http://www.sierramarine.com/sierra/2018/2018sierracatalog.html#p=899

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Mmm. There are a few thoughts and opinions on the gimbal bearing thing.
My own has one of the bearings that you could actually grease. Since then the replacement are sealed units. Or they are on the merc anyway. VP the same way now ?
the UJ on all my mercruiser and VP I found lasted well with routine greasing when drive off each year and more importantly perhaps, not running with the drive tilted up.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Not sure to be honest. I know the local merc dealer and mechanic isn’t a fan. He prefers the old greasable type.
Suppose it’s like the “sealed for life” wheel bearings on trailers these days....that aren’t really and need replaced after a few years, but at more hassle and expense that conventional greasable bearings....Haha.

harringtondav

Commander
thank you for you input. Do the sealed ones last as long ?

I think so. Merc uses now uses sealed bearings, and only offers them as replacements. As long as engine alignment is good, Unis are good, and your drive shaft bellows is keeping water out, a gimbal bearing, sealed or greasable, should out last the boat.

But I'm from the same old school as QBhoy 's mate. I pull my O/D regularly for inspection. And I get a warm fuzzy when I pump in fresh grease and see the old stuff ooze out.

tim24

Seaman
Great thank you. Do you think misalignment is harder on the gimbal bearings or on the u joints? or do you think alignment effects the u joints at all? I have a 280 sp that shakes bad running out of gear, worse turning ??? thank you for you tim

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
While I myself prefer greasable bearings for the boat, our ‘98 Jeep has sealed bearings for the front wheel bearings that are at 21 years old and 178,000 miles. Also all the u joints are all non greasable and are original. If you maintain the bellows as required it should not be a problem.