Good brand of starter

Jetdriverbr

Recruit
I have purchased a new project. 2001 Four Winns with 5.0Gi. The previous owner said boat overheated. His mechanic replaced the seawater pump. The next time out it got warm again and he parked it for a year. I am trying to do my own diagnosis, but the starter is not spinning. I see many options for replacement, some with questionable reviews. I don't want to replace the starter every year(or less), but I also don't want to overpay by buying an OEM one from a VP dealer. What is the preferred source for a marine small block chevy starter?

Bondo

Staff member
but the starter is not spinning.

Ayuh,........ Welcome Aboard,..... So what is the starter doin',..??

I'd be doin' some Diagnostics, before buyin' any parts,......

If you buy a new starter, get 1 of the Permanent Magnet motor starters,.....
They weigh 1/2 as much, with nearly twice the power of the ole traditional style starters,......

Jetdriverbr

Recruit
Ayuh,........ Welcome Aboard,..... So what is the starter doin',..??

I'd be doin' some Diagnostics, before buyin' any parts,......

If you buy a new starter, get 1 of the Permanent Magnet motor starters,.....
They weigh 1/2 as much, with nearly twice the power of the ole traditional style starters,......

My starter diagnostic. It made a loud clunk without rotating the engine. I was worried the engine was seized, but I removed the seawater pump and verified engine was free.The solenoid engages but no rotation from starter. I disassembled the starter and found the corrosion. The armature, brush holder, and magnet cavity are corroded badly. It is a gear reduction starter made in Korea part # 3860566. It is an older part number which has been superseded, so I assume it is original.

More of my boat's history:
The long block and manifolds were replaced in 2014 at 120 hours due to freeze damage. I have the service records showing it has been winterized by the same mechanic every year after. The last relevant outings of the boat involved the previously mentioned overheat with seawater pump replacement. Another attempt at an outing with an engine light or alarm (owner could not remember) followed by trip to mechanic who did some diagnostics which are undocumented. The previous owner had it winterized and gave up on boat.

My findings:
It had about 2 quarts of water in the oil pan. I have drained the oil/water from the engine, removed spark plugs and bore scoped the cylinders. The rear two cylinders have a very slight amount of rust patina. Thinking that the motor may be seized, I added marvel mystery oil to each cylinder. I removed the thermostat housing to inspect and replace the thermostat. What is the best method to remove the rust from Tstat housing? Vinegar soak?

Future plans:
I need a starter! I see very inexpensive starters on amazon with bad reviews. Mid priced starters such as sierra with mixed reviews, or I can get an oem VP starter which seems to have lasted 18 years. I am here still researching my best option. I have downloaded the VP Gas Engine Overheat diagnosis pdf. I am going to source some more tools and plan on doing the tests. A local marine mechanic has suggested in his experience whenever a VP overheats, the manifold to riser gaskets fail and allow water intrusion to cylinders.

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I buy my starters from my local Napa, that deals with Con-Rel outa the capital region here in NYS,.....

My point above is, where ever you buy yer starter, buy This type,.....
sdr0031-m-1__20931.1471342199.jpg

Not the old heavy style, like this,......
s-l64.jpg

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Following I am replacing both as they are a ***** to get to
when I put my new motors in

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ayuh,..... I buy my starters from my local Napa, that deals with Con-Rel outa the capital region here in NYS,.....

My point above is, where ever you buy yer starter, buy This type,.....
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/cdn11.bigcommerce.com\/s-35fn7u8n1i\/images\/stencil\/500x659\/products\/22108\/56527\/sdr0031-m-1__20931.1471342199.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on"**[/IMG2]

Not the old heavy style, like this,......
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"48","width":"64","src":"https:\/\/i.ebayimg.com\/images\/g\/60QAAOSwY4pZYh0c\/s-l64.jpg"**[/IMG2]

What is the difference? Just the weight?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The little Permanent Magnet Motor starters are Waayyy more efficient,.....
Lighter,....
generally Cheaper,.....
More power,....
Easier to change,......

Shall I go on,..??

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have had both a Sierra and an MES starter in our boat (old style Delco design) and as long as you:
keep water out of an off of it
use a good battery with clean, non corroded cables

they last a long time.
It sounds like that engine was hydrolocked at some point, starter clunks and water in the oil pan is not a good sign. I would spray fogging oil in the cyls and leave the plugs out. Then carefully try to turn it crank pulley clockwise as you face it with a proper sized socket and long ratchet. DO NOT force it if it will not move easily. You can break that bolt which will put you in a world of hurt. If it will turn easily install the new starter and with the plugs out try to spin it over. If it will not turn easily then you have a big project, remove the heads and see if spraying Kroil all round the rear cyls/rings will loosen it up. If this does not work time to make a decision, either you take this to a machine shop or buy a new or rebuilt engine.

I re-habbed my old engine which had a bad overheat in '13, ran fine for 2 seasons and then blew both head gaskets in '16. I had water in one cyl (not enough to hydrolock) and a mist of water in the other (#2 and #1). I drained all the water and sprayed fogging oil in it several times after changing the motor oil like 3 time to get the water out. By doing this right away, I prevented the cyls from rusting. And it was salt water. Re-assembled it with 2 re-man heads and new gaskets.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS I am interested in one of these permanent magnet starters as well. However, I have heard that most makes of them use plastic drive photo302616.jpg gears...do any use all metal? It would be nice not to have to deal with that heavy starter in the bilge the next time I have to change it.

Ontheway

Cadet
My starter also stopped, removed it and took it to rebuild shop in Ocala. A week later had rebuilt starter with new solonoid, Installed it today and works like a champ. Cost was less than $50.00. So all is good.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've had several boat starters rebuilt by a local independent shop. It's a lot less expensive than a new one or a reman.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
After mine got a bath cause the block drains were left open after a service, the dealer removed the starter and sent it out for cleaning and refurbishing. It was 2 yrs old at the time, and 15 yrs later it hasn't hick upped even once

Bondo

Staff member
PS I am interested in one of these permanent magnet starters as well. However, I have heard that most makes of

Ayuh,..... I believe yer confusin' things Lou,.....

The PMM Starters are still direct drive, through the bendix,......

Yer thinkin' of gear reduction starters, built like ole chrysler starters,.....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ahh OK thanks...well the next time my old MES starter acts up I will get an ARCO permanent mag starter.

tim24

Seaman
I like the idea of a lighter starter but do the really have a plastic drive?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
however I noticed that all the places selling them advertise them as "high torque permanent magnet gear reduction starter"