1999 Volvo penta 4.3 shutting off after 15 minutes of under load

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Volvo penta 4.3 shutting off after 15 minutes of under load

I have a 1999 Volvo penta 4.3 it shuts off after driving for 10 minutes, stays running if in idle, the only way to start it back up is to jump the fuel pump relay to the battery, I’ve replaced the ignition module, distributor pick up, alternator, fuel pump, fuse panel, rebuilt carb, cleaned up grounds and it still does it, I have 2 boat guys stumped can anyone help?

When it won't start, what is missing?
    Spark
    Fuel
    Compression

At least one of the "boat guys" should have asked you that question.

And did you replace all these parts trying to solve this problem?
    Good Luck Muc

Comment

Might be related to that fuel pump relay....
      have you either tested the relay or swamped it with a known good one?
      might want to pull a wiring diagram and double-triple check your grounds

not sure on your boat but when u turn the key to you have an audible beep or can u hear the fuel pump run for ~2 sec?

Comment

My Merc 4.3's elec fuel pump has the engine oil pressure switch in it's circuit. No, or low oil pressure = not fuel pressure. The oil pressure switch is located low rear on the port side of the engine. Try jumping the harness and see if the engine runs. But only as a diagnostic. This is a critical safety function. If your engine runs ok, check your oil pressure with a mechanical gage. If OK, replace that switch. The Merc spec is 6-8 psi at idle.
        '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Muc. Thanks for all the replies for help, muc , so I launch my boat and drive it for 15 minutes and it completely shuts down, I have no power at the alternator which controls the fuel pump so I jump the fuel pump relay to get it started. I’ve replaced the alternator, coil, fuel pump, ignition module, distributor pick up, cleaned up all the grounds, rebuilt carburetor.yes I replaced all these parts trying to fix it

Comment

Harrington, the wiring on my engine the oil pressure switch is separate from my fuel pump wiring harness, on mine the starter and the alternator control the fuel pump relay, so my question to you is can the oil pressure switch or sensor still shut it off? Thank you

Comment

Sd2600 yes I’ve tried two different relays, once the boat sits for 10 minutes it will start back up

Comment

only way to start it back up is to jump the fuel pump relay to the battery,

the starter and the alternator control the fuel pump relay
                Assuming this is a GL motor your working on

When cranking the motor there should be 12V on the Yellow/Red wire and thru the diode (16) to the relay
                Once started power comes from the Green wire from the ALT to another diode to the relay to keep it engaged.

Check for power at and thru the diode when cranking, and also to and thru the run diode once the motor starts

Click image for larger version

Name:	VP GL and GS elect.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	10705969Click image for larger version

Name:	GL fuel pump wiring.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	10705970
                94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
                95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
                07 Seadoo GTX
                Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
                G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Alldodge, good info you got me thinking now, I replaced those diodes but now I relize when I’m having this problem I’m losing power when starting and from the alternator, , something is killing power from the starter and alternator to the fuel pump relay

Comment

Something is heating up I think and shutting off all power and once it cools off it starts again

Comment

I’m going to check the resistor on the purple wire off of the coil Click image for larger version

Name:	C135F974-1BB2-4001-8350-D8320DA579F8.png
Views:	1
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	10706027

Comment

It’s labeled 22 in the diagram, I’ll let everyone know what I find, thanks everyone for the input

Comment

So it wasn’t the resistor and I bypassed the key switch by running a wire from the coil to the battery and boat Still dies after driving for 10 minutes. Then once it cools off it starts up again. So what can electrically heat up and shut off the boat?

Comment

If your sure its an electrical, then start checking voltages when it dies.
                            If you still have power to the coil, then I would look into the distributor. The distributor is the EST type and also has a coil inside as well as a pickup module.

Here is the test procedure done on a Merc which will work

94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
                            95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
                            07 Seadoo GTX
                            Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
                            G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Alldodge , I replaced the module on the distributor and the pick up inside of the distributor

Comment

Working...
                              X