Volvo Penta 4.3 Gxi Removal ??

alan ber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if my skill level is up too this job
I do most of my own repairs when I can , but find working on these engines in this boat challenging , Almost easier too remove engine too preform work then too work with engine in place
TWIN VOLVO PENTA 4.3 GXI
Duo prop drives
2003 Regal Commodore

Kohler generator has too be removed for rebuild
, Port engine must come out too accomplish gen set removal
I have removed 4 cylinder mercruiser engines in past , newer installing
Boat kept at a marina here in Fl
marina offers haul out , NO Mechanical repairs , For a nominal fee they will haul as long as everything is disconnected , Chains must be in place
I exhausted local repair guys from authorized vendor repair list too do this job , They want easy , turn & burn , diesel & OB
Think it would be good learning for future but don't want too make a mistake having nobody too call for help ?

I am puzzled with rear of engine , what has too be removed, bolts holding too gimbal ,

Front ,
gas lines, PS lines, motor mounts, shift cable, battery cables, riser hoses , basic stuff , more concerned with rear , what bolts holding too transom , bar for both engines moving , Anything else I have too concern myself with ?
Room too move engine forward or best too move lower unit back ??

Some thoughts and advice is appreciated

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
If drives are off and all is disconnected. onlything holding motors down is 4 engine mounts- remove them and lift up. If drives are on, motor will have to go forward to disconnect drive splines from engine coupler. You may have hoses for water heater and engine flush down low also (mine did). Not too bad a job.

alldodge

Staff member
I am puzzled with rear of engine , what has too be removed, bolts holding too gimbal ,

There are 2 bolts, one on each side
There are also some ground and bonding cables from the engine block the the transom plate.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I pulled my single 5.7 back in October. It wasn't difficult at all. The biggest pain was finding a way to lift it up and out of the boat without damaging anything. I ended up using a friends small gantry crane.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
With two exceptions, two front motor mounts instead of one and two exhausts, removal is the same as an inline 4 cylinder.

harringtondav

Commander
It sounds more scary than it is. I pulled and reset my Merc. 4.3, and my pal's Merc 350 mag - twice. Assuming your front mounts are like a Merc, just remove the top stud nuts and lift the engine off. Leaving your drives on sounds possible, but it may end up being more work than just pulling them. Good opportunity to check the gimbal bearing and bellows while you're in this deep. Besides, you really want to check engine alignment after reinstallation.

I bridged a beam across four trusses in the top of my garage, and used a $90 1.5 Ton HF chain hoist to pull these engines. You'll need to get them high enough to clear the boat as you pull it out from under.