VP DP-S propeller shaft seal question

whitesharkseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After a nightmare experience pulling my main DP to change gear oil (had to use a prop puller) I noticed main prop shaft seal leaking gear oil near the bottom. Has anyone changed this type of seal without pulling the bearing carrier? I know that is the proper way but I hear the special tools are very expensive and hard to find. Any advice would be appreciated. Eric

Attachments

• photo307861.jpg
    photo307861.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • photo307862.jpg
    photo307862.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

whitesharkseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Also, I believe those seals were installed backwards. No milky gear oil so water isn't infiltrating lower end.

Eric

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you had problems pulling your prop because you are not doing your annual inspections and you did not grease the prop shaft like it says in the manual

the bearing carrier needs to be pulled. there are back-to-back seals. the outer seal is the water seal, the inner seal is the oil seal.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
I believe you need spanner wrench Volvo Penta 3855877 to remove that retaining ring. I ordered one back in Dec still haven't received it. It is on back order from VP, no idea when it will come. No one seems to have it in stock.

whitesharkseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you gentlemen. I fear that I may have the same problem removing the bearing carrier as I did the prop and might bust it. I may just leave that job for the experts with the tools!