photo307485.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
And stainless exhaust is under 23# for the mani and about #12 for the elbow

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
And the point/reason of weights and pictures of tape measures?

Bondo

Staff member
Vp weighs in at
Merc is

Ayuh,..... 'n havin' all the right bolt holes in the right spots,.................. is priceless,..........

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Is someone thinking of changing a Volvo to Merc exhaust, or? I could see if someone wanted to adapt the Merc dry joint system to a Volvo engine. But that's not what's here.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought about it. But was leaning towards Hardin Marines Seaward Series.....

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is someone thinking of changing a Volvo to Merc exhaust, or? I could see if someone wanted to adapt the Merc dry joint system to a Volvo engine. But that's not what's here.
In process of adding merc manifolds and going to a full fwc system. Was previously a half system that needs 18 year old heat exchanger replaced. 5.7 Gsi will show pics as progress goes along

Scott Danforth

Staff member
check the elbow angles. they are a bit different between Merc and VP

If your going to a full system, save yourself a pile of weight and go with aluminum manifolds from either Stainless Marine, EMI, Kodiak or others.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
In process of adding merc manifolds and going to a full fwc system. Was previously a half system that needs 18 year old heat exchanger replaced. 5.7 Gsi will show pics as progress goes along

My 01 5.7 GSI's are RWC thinking of doing a half cooled system. Yours was half cooled from the factory? I am interested in your pics and progress.

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
check the elbow angles. they are a bit different between Merc and VP

If your going to a full system, save yourself a pile of weight and go with aluminum manifolds from either Stainless Marine, EMI, Kodiak or others.
Thanks Scott,
Merc and vp are both 7 degree but some merc dry joints are 14 degree, I already bought manifolds and elbows but. Still need 3" risers to be ok on overall height. A little more weight won't make much difference for this boat a 24 ' osprey pretty heavy already.

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 01 5.7 GSI's are RWC thinking of doing a half cooled system. Yours was half cooled from the factory? I am interested in your pics and progress.
its a pacific nw boat, they would close cool all boats from factory being a saltwater boat. You may have issues switching from raw to a closed system in yours due to scale rust in block plugging exchanger. If you started off with fresh block it would be fine

Scott Danforth

Staff member

Unless you boat only in clear, clean, low-mineral fresh water, it is highly recommended not to add an HX to your motor.

If you are re-powering....no problem