2000 5.7 gsi pwtr possibly overheat gremlin.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well you're on to something. That can leak on the back side of the pivot housing, or between the pivot housing and the drive. If between the drive and the pivot housing, it could be that irregularly shaped o ring that fits in the pivot housing. I use some Evinrude triple guard grease to keep that in place when I re-install the drive (the OMC Cobra uses a gasket between the drive and the pivot housing in addition to that same o ring, the Volvo does not, they only used the o ring). It is possible for it to slip out of place and not seal properly. On the back side of the pivot housing, it can leak where the hose connects to the plastic fitting, the plastic fitting could be cracked, or the o-ring on the plastic fitting could have slipped out of place...See which side of the pivot the water is coming from.....

BTW, my 30 year old Cobra, still has the original fitting, believe it or not. Bought a few as spares....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
here it is....

Attachments

• photo307250.jpg
    photo307250.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo307251.jpg
    photo307251.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 0

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
BTW, the o ring for the plastic water nipple goes in the groove closest to the square end, not the one with the water drain hole and OMC says to coat it with triple guard grease as well. Tighten the nut to about 10 ft lbs, ie just snug not too tight.

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright guys, pulled the drive.... the only h20 coming out of the hose now is from the small drain hole on the plastic fitting.... this leaves me to believe that the air is coming through the pivot housing and drive... lower case b shaped gasket. # 35 ... this was not replaced new when I did the previous hose repairs... I’m going to order it today....

other than coating it generously with triple guard would it be advised to add maybe a permatex gasket maker to the drive side? I want it to be water tight!!!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Make sure to clean out the groove that the o ring fits into. Also clean the surface of the drive where it meets the o ring. Then see if it will stay in the groove by itself. If so you can use gasket sealer or gasket adhesive. If it won’t stay in the groove then just use triple guard. It is super sticky and will hold it in there.

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok. my the boat shop near me had the #35 o-ring. I picked it up cleaned up both the drive and pivot housing. I applied a liberal amount of triple guard to the o-ring on the plastic fitting as well as to the o ring on the pivot housing.. I buttoned it up and a lil triple guard squeezed out the port side.... I fired it up on the muffs and.... drum roll..... no bubbles.... I ran it for probably 15 min and the temp stayed solid at 160... starboard riser was 108 port 90, thermostat housing and manifold 96.. After is warmed up for that 15 min or so i gave it a few 3-5 sec revs to about 1200 rpm... bubbles appeared on the intake side but went away in 5-10 sec.. the temp never climbed... I guess those bubbles are due to lack of supply on the muffs..Next step is a sea trial. not sure when i will be able to go but i will update when it happens.. i greatly appreciate the prompt responses and advice from everyone.. thank you

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the follow up and good luck with the water test! Let us know how it turns out, this way everyone learns!

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got a chance to sea trial yesterday.. all is well, temp was rock solid at 160.. cruised at 28 kt at 31-3200 rpm.. looking forward to the season.. thanks for the help

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the follow up because this is how we all learn, these are common problems so it would be good for someone to summarize them and put them all in one place in a sticky (ie what to do when your Merc, Volvo or OMC I/O overheats, etc)…..