Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 5.7 gsi pwtr possibly overheat gremlin.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lou I currently have clear hoses attached to the inlet of the impeller and on the impeller of the housing...

im getting bubbles on the inlet and the outlet

i assume bubbles in means bubbles out

i will try to narrow it down this afternoon and get back with any findings

Comment

yep bubbles in means bubbles out, you might want to do the other test I mentioned (was on the Striper board) where you disconnect your impeller feed hose at the impeller. You can tape over your out drive water intakes to seal em up. Move the drive to the starboard side so you can see into where the pivot to transom mount hose is and have someone hold that hose up and fill it with water from a funnel while you look at all the leak point possibilities. An even better way might be this: get some no tox Sierra antifreeze, mix up a 50/50 batch, and use that instead of water. It is bright green like the old style antifreeze (but non toxic) and will show up better than water. Might need a bright LED flash light and a mechanic's inspection mirror. The reason why Volvos and Bravos are more prone to this issue is the impeller must pull water all the way from the drive water intakes to the impeller housing, there are a number of points where you can pull in air. On a Merc Alpha or OMC Cobra, that same path is under pressure, the water is pushed forward so leaks will be more obvious.
      1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
      4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
      07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

ok. i taped off the inlet holes on the outdrive. I removed the hose that goes from the power steering cooler to the thru transom fitting. I inserted my garden hose and dribbled H20 until it was almost full. I then jumped down to inspect the connections on the outdrive as per lou's instructions... I found h20 coming out what looks to be in the area of the plastic fitting #18

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...-44-10147.aspx

i was unable to pull the drive as my time was limited.. This part was replaced new as i have been trying to track down the air issue.. Perhaps I may have cracked it when tightening it down... If time permits i will pull the drive tomorrow and inspect...

more to follow.

Thanks for the input guys

Comment

If it is damaged obviously replace it. Either way coat the threads with drive grease to help it seal better. Plus it will make it easier to remove next time.
          Summer Fling-II
          2008 Chaparral Sunesta 264
          Summer Fling
          2003 Chaparral Sunesta 243

Comment

Was the o ring changed on the back side of the fitting #35 on the diagram?

Comment

Well you're on to something. That can leak on the back side of the pivot housing, or between the pivot housing and the drive. If between the drive and the pivot housing, it could be that irregularly shaped o ring that fits in the pivot housing. I use some Evinrude triple guard grease to keep that in place when I re-install the drive (the OMC Cobra uses a gasket between the drive and the pivot housing in addition to that same o ring, the Volvo does not, they only used the o ring). It is possible for it to slip out of place and not seal properly. On the back side of the pivot housing, it can leak where the hose connects to the plastic fitting, the plastic fitting could be cracked, or the o-ring on the plastic fitting could have slipped out of place...See which side of the pivot the water is coming from.....

BTW, my 30 year old Cobra, still has the original fitting, believe it or not. Bought a few as spares....
              4.3 OMC Cobra

Comment

here it is....
                4.3 OMC Cobra

Comment

BTW, the o ring for the plastic water nipple goes in the groove closest to the square end, not the one with the water drain hole and OMC says to coat it with triple guard grease as well. Tighten the nut to about 10 ft lbs, ie just snug not too tight.
                  4.3 OMC Cobra

Comment

Alright guys, pulled the drive.... the only h20 coming out of the hose now is from the small drain hole on the plastic fitting.... this leaves me to believe that the air is coming through the pivot housing and drive... lower case b shaped gasket. # 35 ... this was not replaced new when I did the previous hose repairs... I’m going to order it today....

other than coating it generously with triple guard would it be advised to add maybe a permatex gasket maker to the drive side? I want it to be water tight!!!

Comment

Make sure to clean out the groove that the o ring fits into. Also clean the surface of the drive where it meets the o ring. Then see if it will stay in the groove by itself. If so you can use gasket sealer or gasket adhesive. If it won’t stay in the groove then just use triple guard. It is super sticky and will hold it in there.
                      4.3 OMC Cobra

Comment

ok. my the boat shop near me had the #35 o-ring. I picked it up cleaned up both the drive and pivot housing. I applied a liberal amount of triple guard to the o-ring on the plastic fitting as well as to the o ring on the pivot housing.. I buttoned it up and a lil triple guard squeezed out the port side.... I fired it up on the muffs and.... drum roll..... no bubbles.... I ran it for probably 15 min and the temp stayed solid at 160... starboard riser was 108 port 90, thermostat housing and manifold 96.. After is warmed up for that 15 min or so i gave it a few 3-5 sec revs to about 1200 rpm... bubbles appeared on the intake side but went away in 5-10 sec.. the temp never climbed... I guess those bubbles are due to lack of supply on the muffs..Next step is a sea trial. not sure when i will be able to go but i will update when it happens.. i greatly appreciate the prompt responses and advice from everyone.. thank you

Comment

Thanks for the follow up and good luck with the water test! Let us know how it turns out, this way everyone learns!
                          4.3 OMC Cobra

Comment

Got a chance to sea trial yesterday.. all is well, temp was rock solid at 160.. cruised at 28 kt at 31-3200 rpm.. looking forward to the season.. thanks for the help

Comment

Thanks for the follow up because this is how we all learn, these are common problems so it would be good for someone to summarize them and put them all in one place in a sticky (ie what to do when your Merc, Volvo or OMC I/O overheats, etc)…..
                              4.3 OMC Cobra

Comment

Working...
                              X