Manifolds and elbows

larson260

Seaman
I have a 2015 Four Winns powered with a 320-CE-B r.w.c. with catalitic converters. The boat has four seasons and 100 hours run in brackish water. Neutra salt was added last season. On previous boats with the 5.7 r.w.c. I always changed out the manifolds and elbows after five years. The cats were introduced in 2009 on all gas inboards. It is no surprise to me that the Volvo manifolds, elbows and cats on the 320-CE-B cost around 6K plus labor. Has anyone out there gotten to the point of replacing them, if so, are the any other alternatives, Like maby eliminating the cats, a different manufacture. I realize that there are sensors before and after the cats which all go thruogh the ecm which may complicate matters. I'm not looking for a cheap way out, just thought I would ask around for opinions before I spend the 6-9K to change them out. I'm sure I have another season on what I have. I want to have all the answers before asking the BOSS forthe checkbook. The members in this forum always come up with great ideas and opinions so I though I would again check with you on it. Again thank you in advance.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
They still sell RWC motors? I would have thought they switch to FWC. Haven't check out any new ones.

larson260

Seaman
2015 was the last year for r.w.c. cast iron 5.7, however, the new f.w.c. motors have r.w.c. manifolds and elbows. The block is f.w.c.Same as the old 1/2 f.w.c. system. I guess its because of the cats which are in between the manifolds and the elbows. Long story short you still have the expensive manifold, cat and elbow replacement every five years. I believe mercruiser is the same set up.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I would see if you can talk to a V/P mechanic and see what the service life is on these, it could be longer than the old style manifolds, and it is possible that an aftermarket company may make manifolds for them, while the cat probably is only available as OE. 6 grand for parts is what I saw the last time I checked. I would NEVER EVER buy an inboard with CAT exhaust. At that point, the costs have risen to the point where I can justify an easier to maintain and safer OUTBOARD. The only inboard or I/O I will own will be pre-Cats.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner