Alternator wiring

skrun

Cadet
Anyone can help how to connect these wires to the alternator I know where to connect the red and the black wire the problem is where to connect the orange and purple wire it has 2 pin plug
I have the plug but colours are both black

Attachments

• photo306580.jpg
    photo306580.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306581.jpg
    photo306581.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like you bought the wrong ALT, what motor are you working on?
What is the part number of the ALT?

The orange would go on the large terminal with the nut. The purple would connect to one of the pins at the plug

alldodge

Staff member
If we knew what the part number of current ALT, we might be able to determine if it could be used with a modification

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
looks like the wiring is for a Mando alternator and the new alternator is a Delco variant

purple wire will go to the excite of the 2-pin plug. you may need to add a diode (read your installation instructions)
the black is a ground that goes back to the block. that should be connected to the grounding lug on the alternator
the orange is the feed back to the starter terminal. this gets connected to the B terminal. the little lead off the cable is for the external regulator that you no longer have. that can be tapped up.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you can take that one back and get the Mando alt that's what I'd do. The connections will be the same as on your OE alt.

skrun

Cadet
Thanks guys I returned the wrong ALT and got the proper one

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That small jumper off of the big orange B+ wire goes to the S for sense terminal.