Bertram 20 raw water pump

Russ766

Recruit
Hi everyone
I have just bought a Bahia mah it's a bit of a project and it has a volvo 280 stern drive and a 289 windsor v8 engine, my first question i have is it has a belt driven thru hull raw water pump can these pumps be recond or do I need to look at changing it out to something different? All the seacocks and hoses look fine but will replace when it's time for it to hit the water. Any help and info is appreciated. Cheers

Bondo

Staff member
Hi everyone
I have just bought a Bahia mah it's a bit of a project and it has a volvo 280 stern drive and a 289 windsor v8 engine, my first question i have is it has a belt driven thru hull raw water pump can these pumps be recond or do I need to look at changing it out to something different? All the seacocks and hoses look fine but will replace when it's time for it to hit the water. Any help and info is appreciated. Cheers

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... That's probably the original Volvo raw water pump,.....

'n Ya, they're rebuildable, til they get just plain ole Worn Out,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Most of the time, a $5 seal and a $8 bearing is all thats needed

Russ766

Recruit
Ok thanks for the replies. I have checked it and it dosent spin to easy by hand so looks like a strip down and check out or maybe just a throw out and replace

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
take the impeller out if you are trying to turn it by hand