Gimbal Bearing and oil seal

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I’m prepping to replace the gimbal bearing on my SX-M (first time) and the kit I got came with a transom oil seal which apparently is located behind the gimbal bearing. What is the purpose of the oil seal and does it need to be replaced as part of regular maintenance?
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
What is the purpose of the oil seal

Ayuh,..... It's supposed to stop grease purged from the gimbel bearin' from gettin' into the boat,.....
It usually don't,....

I don't change 'em,..... they serve no real purpose,...

Especially now that most gimbel bearin's can't be greased anyways,.... Perma-lubed,....

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thank you sir. Makes sense.
Another question regarding reinstall of the gimbal bearing. I have the puller tool with alignment bar and it comes with what looks to be the part that would be used to set the new bearing... it has a bolt that goes through it. Not understanding how this works with the alignment bar to set the new bearing. There is no corresponding hole in the alignment bar.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
When I got my kit, I had to mark and drill my own. Don’t think it comes pre drilled because of the many variables with different drives.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When I got my kit, I had to mark and drill my own. Don’t think it comes pre drilled because of the many variables with different drives.

Ah, ok gotchya.... makes sense.
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
The seal is your last line of defence should you bellows split, your choice.

Ayuh,..... The bellows is vented into the hull,......

That seal will never see water,.....

saintlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just measured my install tool and the hole is 9-1/16 from the end. SX /DPSM drive