Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust manifold installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exhaust manifold installation

    I am ready to install the exhaust manifolds on my new 5.7 GXI block. I am a big fan of Permatex avation#3 sealant. Would it be a bad idea to apply a thin coating of this sealant around the bare metal ports of the block and manifold while installing the gasket?
    Summer Fling-II
    2008 Chaparral Sunesta 264
    Summer Fling
    2003 Chaparral Sunesta 243

  • #2
    The copper Hi-Temp spray may be a better choice, since it is good up to 500 F. The Aviation #3 is 400 F.
    Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

    Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
    Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

    My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

    Comment


    • #3
      and none of it needed on exhaust ports with good gaskets
      Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

      1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

      Past Boats
      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

      What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

      Comment


      • #4
        The engine manufacturer, Michigan Motors, shipped the engine with Mahle exhaust manifold gaskets. Anybody know of their quality. Should I use them or go with Barr or VP gaskets. I don't know if my warranty would be voided if I do not use what they supplied.
        Summer Fling-II
        2008 Chaparral Sunesta 264
        Summer Fling
        2003 Chaparral Sunesta 243

        Comment


        • #5
          Mahle is good stuff, but antysteel gasket can rust over time. IF the mating surfaces are good, high temp RTV can be used with no gasket.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have used regular marine exhaust manifold gaskets (no sealer) on the cyl head to manifold joint every time I've had to change manifolds (like 3 times in 15+ years) and never had a leak even on the old cyl heads where the sealing surfaces were not perfect (see old pic). When I installed the new center riser Barr exhaust the Barr tech guy suggested Permatex Aviation with their gaskets for the manifold to elbow joint which I did with no leaks. If you used the Volvo OE manifold to riser gaskets I believe they specified the copper high temp spray.
            The cyl head to manifold gaskets only have to seal exhaust gas, the manifold to elbow gaskets have to seal both water and exhaust gas so they are more critical. I'd call them (MM) and ask to be on the safe side if you are installing it all yourself.
            1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
            4.3 OMC Cobra

            98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

            "While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

            Comment


            • #7
              Mahle is who GM buys gaskets from
              Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

              1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

              Past Boats
              1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
              2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
              1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

              What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

              Comment


              • #8
                Does anybody know if it ok to apply the manifold gasket over the painted heads directly or do I need to remove the paint first. I have read conflicting information. Also thread lock on the bolt threads, again finding conflicting information.
                Last edited by BRICH1260; December 27th, 2018, 07:57 PM.
                Summer Fling-II
                2008 Chaparral Sunesta 264
                Summer Fling
                2003 Chaparral Sunesta 243

                Comment


                • #9
                  paint ok - you are over-thinking it
                  dont use thread lock - wont work due to the heat, however if you add enough of it, then you will never get the bolts out.
                  use maalox (or milk of magnesia) - seriously use maalox. the maalox coats the threads, the heat turns the maalox into a powder, the exhaust bolts will not rust into place. - this is an old crusty tip from an old crusty engine builder handed down to this old crusty hod rodder
                  you can also use copper based anti-sieze.
                  however never use locking compound
                  exhaust bolts are retained by proper torque which in turn stretches the bolts to the proper tension.
                  Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

                  1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

                  Past Boats
                  1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                  2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                  1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

                  What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BRICH1260 View Post
                    The engine manufacturer, Michigan Motors, shipped the engine with Mahle exhaust manifold gaskets. Anybody know of their quality. Should I use them or go with Barr or VP gaskets. I don't know if my warranty would be voided if I do not use what they supplied.
                    Does Michigan Motorz build that long block? Or do they get them straight from Volvo? I am looking at buying 2 of those or their GM 5.7 0r 6.2 vortec long blocks. Are you happy with them?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
                      paint ok - you are over-thinking it
                      dont use thread lock - wont work due to the heat, however if you add enough of it, then you will never get the bolts out.
                      use maalox (or milk of magnesia) - seriously use maalox. the maalox coats the threads, the heat turns the maalox into a powder, the exhaust bolts will not rust into place. - this is an old crusty tip from an old crusty engine builder handed down to this old crusty hod rodder
                      you can also use copper based anti-sieze.
                      however never use locking compound
                      exhaust bolts are retained by proper torque which in turn stretches the bolts to the proper tension.
                      Milk of Magnesia huh?, that's a first. I appreciate the tip. I probably am overthinking it. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. Been scouring the internet for information and it seems like everyone has their own twist to things. Like I said a lot of conflicting information out there.
                      Summer Fling-II
                      2008 Chaparral Sunesta 264
                      Summer Fling
                      2003 Chaparral Sunesta 243

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lubak572 View Post

                        Does Michigan Motorz build that long block? Or do they get them straight from Volvo? I am looking at buying 2 of those or their GM 5.7 0r 6.2 vortec long blocks. Are you happy with them?
                        I`m of the impression that Michigan Motors builds them as they are not tagged with a Volvo serial plate. Plus I think the VP motor is about twice the price. I have been pleased with their service. They spent a lot of time with me on the phone answering questions that I had and shipped the unit in a very protective manner.
                        Summer Fling-II
                        2008 Chaparral Sunesta 264
                        Summer Fling
                        2003 Chaparral Sunesta 243

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BRICH1260 View Post

                          Milk of Magnesia huh?, that's a first. I appreciate the tip. I probably am overthinking it. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. Been scouring the internet for information and it seems like everyone has their own twist to things. Like I said a lot of conflicting information out there.
                          your best sources of information should be

                          factory service manual
                          old crusty machine shop owner who built more motors/hot-rods/boats/etc. than most people ever dream of
                          Old Hot-Roders who have been building things for decades

                          never look at you-tube videos, you can watch 3 and get 3 conflicting bits of information.

                          the maalox tip came from Fritz - owner of B-B Machine shop in the late 70's when when Dad and I were rebuilding a 327 rambler for a jeep wagoneer. and had to drill out 5 exhaust studs I think Fritz was 80 at the time. he had been using it since it came out in the 40's
                          Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

                          1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

                          Past Boats
                          1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                          2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                          1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

                          What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Sign up today
                            Originally posted by Lubak572 View Post

                            Does Michigan Motorz build that long block? Or do they get them straight from Volvo? I am looking at buying 2 of those or their GM 5.7 0r 6.2 vortec long blocks. Are you happy with them?
                            Volvo doesn't build anything except diesels. I'll bet they're just a GM/Chevy production engine, built for "marine" use.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X