2017 Volvo Penta Duo Prop knocking outdrive

dlindfors

Cadet
https://youtu.be/vwLbInRuLFU

Hello,

I have a 2017 Regal with volvo penta duo prop outdrive. We had the whole lower unit replaced and have had the boat out to test twice. I felt like the boat hesitated to go into drive yesterday which was accompanied by a slightly louder than normal knock when going into gear. When flushing the outdrive this morning I put it in drive (something that I don't normally do) to inspect the props while they are spinning. I immediately heard the regular knocking sound and could see the props slowing to accompany the knock. I put it back in neutral and then reverse. No knocking in reverse. I had it in gear for about 45 seconds as I didn't want to damage anything.

Any thoughts?

Please see the link on youtube, as iboats would not let me upload a .mov file.

thanks

DL

Attachments

• photo305919.jpg
    photo305919.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your video is unavailable on youtube. you should read the video tutorial in the rules and guidelines forum.

are you still under warranty (should be), if so, take it in. you have something seriously wrong.

dlindfors

Cadet
Sorry video was private. I changed it to public and it should be viewable. I'm going to bring it in after the new years. Just wanted and idea what was wrong with it if anyone has had a similar experience.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
every time you hear the knock, you can see the props slow down for an instant, almost like there is a chip of metal wedged in the gears. I'd stop running it and get it to a shop before a gear breaks and it seizes up.

dlindfors

Cadet
Don’t know if this helps, but when you put it in reverse it does not knock it all it appears to run normally.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Wow. 30 years as a Volvo tech and never seen that.
Why was the original drive replaced?
Please post what the dealer finds.
Guessing the problem is in the upper.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Never seen this. Does your boat have fly by wire controls or manual cable ?

Maclin

Admiral
Looks like the props begin to slow down, then the knock happens, the props catch back up or something.

dlindfors

Cadet
We had a prop strike with a piece of submerged wood in August of 2018. Took the boat out of the water and saw a slight bend in the prop. Pulled the boat out of the water fixed the prop. Apparently when we had the strike it damaged the seal with the drive fluid and it all leaked out. Next time we took the boat out it seized up.

The lower unit of the drive was repaired between August and November of 2017. We were not able to get it out on the water until April of 2018. When we did we noticed a clunking in the outdrive and brought it back in. The opened it up and found that the tech had made some major mistakes putting it back together. After months "discussing" with the dealership they decided to get us a new lower unit. That was put on and portions of the upper were also repaired. That process took between April 2018 and November 2018 when we got the boat back.

It's a volvo penta and I believe it's fly by wire. Hoping it just has to do with the transmission controls and the transmission is slipping into and out of gear.

dlindfors

Cadet
prop strike was in august 2017 not 18. In short the boat has been in the shop for almost a year between April 2017 and Nov 2018. sucks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hoping it just has to do with the transmission controls and the transmission is slipping into and out of gear.

you can hope all you want. the problem is mechanical, and the problem is serious. My guess there is a busted tooth on the gears or other problem

dlindfors

Cadet
The volvo penta is fly by wire. The fly by wire is attached to a mechanical portion that actually puts the drive into gear. The gear portion needed to be adjusted after break in. Shop adjusted, now with no issues.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Thanks for the update. I hope you get long, trouble free enjoyment of your boat.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The volvo penta is fly by wire. The fly by wire is attached to a mechanical portion that actually puts the drive into gear. The gear portion needed to be adjusted after break in. Shop adjusted, now with no issues.

Thought it was something along these lines. Glad you got it sorted.