No announcement yet.

5.7 carbed vs 5.7 MPI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far nobody has told us why this worked for the Atlanta guys and not for anyone else. This was an actual case history. I wish I could find the details but since the study was done 17 years ago, even the forums (2) where I read it all don't search back that far.
    Mariah Shabah Z202 5.7L Mercruiser B3
    Jensen Marine 1972 Cal 21 cabin sloop
    Retired EE of 45 years

Comment

Originally posted by DouglasW View Post
      So far nobody has told us why this worked for the Atlanta guys and not for anyone else. This was an actual case history. I wish I could find the details but since the study was done 17 years ago, even the forums (2) where I read it all don't search back that far.
      Because it was a publicity event. Something to drum up business. Hardly a legit "study".

Comment

So just duplicating the same numbers that GM had, doesn't count I guess. More fake news?

Retired EE of 45 years

Comment

So just duplicating the same numbers that GM had, doesn't count I guess. More fake news?
          C,mon..apples and oranges.

Comment

EFI can compensate for changes in intake air temperature and barometric pressure. It can also increase spark advance to the optimum amount. So the possibility for increased power and fuel economy compared to a carburetor is obvious.

Changing from a carb to EFI is a lot like going from a gas engine to diesel. There will be a payback, but you need to put on a lot of hours to see it.

I once was involved in advising a customer on ordering a new 35 foot cruiser. He planned to own the boat for 5 years. The numbers might not be valid anymore because I had to use the cost of fuel vs gas and resale value to come up with the numbers and this was 10 to 15 years ago. But after taking into account the fuel, resale, up charge for a pair of Diesel engines and generator, the average speed he wanted and maintenance costs. He would have needed to run over 400 hours a year to see a pay back. Sales department wasn’t real happy with me because there is a bit more profit in a diesel boat. But it worked out in the end because we had a 35 gas in stock, so it was a quick sale and he come back in 2 years and bought a 40 foot with diesels.

Moral of the story. Upgrades to a boat take along time to payback and never think that “this is the last boat I’ll ever buy”.

Good Luck Muc

Comment

Did you not read the reply in post 13?

In the late 80s. Early 90s my buds and I built many vehicles with TPI engines. Put them in everything from S10s to Chevy Vegas to a Grand AM (RWD conversion). We prefered the early motors with MAFS vs the later Speed Density

Nothing majic about the results. You would get similar performance gains with an edelbrock Air Gap manifold, a carb spacer and a 650cfm carb
              Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
              1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
              2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
              1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post

Did you not read the reply in post 13?
                Yes, but that doesn't explain why they could do it and you could not.
                Retired EE of 45 years

Comment

Yes, but that doesn't explain why they could do it and you could not.
                  What wasnt explained? based on your comments, it was a 1985 camaro. basically a 305 smog motor. so they took a smog strangled motor, unbolted a badly designed low-rise cast-iron intake and smog carb and bolted on TPI injection (available first that year) and it produces the same power it did that GM says it did - all 215hp. you state its EFI, however the truth is the intake plenum and a bit more timing is all it was - allowing the motor to breath and advancing the timing closer to the edge of detonation. take the same 305, bolt on a medium-rise cast iron intake and a carb and it makes 230hp as a marine motor (with a cam that has less duration, however just a bit more lift) take the same motor and bolt on an air gap intake, carb spacer and a decent carb and you get more power - about 270hp. to make more power than that, you need different combustion mix

its no different than the same 1985 vintage pickup truck motors producing 175hp with the smog choked TBI fuel injection and the same motor in a boat with a medium-rise cast iron manifold and a carb produced 250-260hp.

intake plenum size and runner size is extremely important to combustion efficiency and power.
                  Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                  1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                  2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                  1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

rpm is a big variable. Maintaining torque to a higher rpm = more horsepower. More compression = more horsepower. More CORRECTLY MIXED fuel/air in = more horsepower. More heat converted to work = more horsepower. Less friction = more usable horsepower.

Comment

Did you get any further forward ? Think some are getting confused with the engine you are comparing to the carb. The mpi or gxi aren’t efi or tbi. They are a whole different thing with common rail and individual injectors. Very efficient and powerful....when they are behaving.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post

What wasnt explained? based on your comments, it was a 1985 camaro. basically a 305 smog motor. so they took a smog strangled motor, unbolted a badly designed low-rise cast-iron intake and smog carb and bolted on TPI injection (available first that year) and it produces the same power it did that GM says it did - all 215hp. you state its EFI, however the truth is the intake plenum and a bit more timing is all it was - allowing the motor to breath and advancing the timing closer to the edge of detonation. take the same 305, bolt on a medium-rise cast iron intake and a carb and it makes 230hp as a marine motor (with a cam that has less duration, however just a bit more lift) take the same motor and bolt on an air gap intake, carb spacer and a decent carb and you get more power - about 270hp. to make more power than that, you need different combustion mix

its no different than the same 1985 vintage pickup truck motors producing 175hp with the smog choked TBI fuel injection and the same motor in a boat with a medium-rise cast iron manifold and a carb produced 250-260hp.

intake plenum size and runner size is extremely important to combustion efficiency and power.
                        I never stated it was EFI, clearly I stated MPI. ALL THEY CHANGED WAS THE CARB COMPONENTS TO MPI COMPONENTS, NOTHING ELSE. How many times do I have to mention that? And it was not 215 HP, it was 200 HP. You are thinking of another engine.

Might as well be talking to the wall...Unsubbed.
                        Retired EE of 45 years

Comment

Working...
                        X