aq140a penta starting problems (Water in carbs??)

Orthas

Cadet
Hey all

Been trying to start my aq140a for a few days now. Had it rebuilt a few years back and only ran it a few times and haven't used it in 2 years. Figured out the fuel pump wasn't working so replaced with an electrical pump and that works great. now the problem is it wont fire at all. the engine will crank and when I give it a bit of throttle, what looks to be mostly water is starting to come out the top of both the carbs. A look at some of the forums here point to a cracked manifold or gasket. have already put lots of time and money into this thing and really don't want to spend a whole lot more.
Does anyone have any suggestions what the problem could be?
Yes I have the earmuffs on when starting.
Thanks
Jeff

Orthas

Cadet
Drained it and then tried it with the pump going directly into a fuel can with fresh gas in it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
well, if you now have water coming out of the carbs and you are not pumping it in via the fuel tank, are you filling your motor up with a cracked manifold, or block? pull your plugs, see if there is water in there. check your oil level to see if there is water in there.

Orthas

Cadet
Oil is good (no water) radiator is normal level. cranked over with the plugs out and what looks to be water came out for a little bit. Have taken the manifold off but unsure of how to test it

Maclin

Admiral
Water does not act the same as gasoline inside a carb, viscosity is total different. The water can be in some nooks and crannies now, and can block any fuel flow even if you have fixed the fuel source and have pure fuel going in now. Sounds like you need a "short" rebuild on the carbs maybe.

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oil is good (no water) radiator is normal level. cranked over with the plugs out and what looks to be water came out for a little bit. Have taken the manifold off but unsure of how to test it

No LIQUID anything should come out of a cylinder.

Orthas

Cadet
I was reading on a different forum that if the timing was out that could cause water to be sucked in through the exhaust. would this be true? I removed my exhaust manifold and that seems to not leak so timing maybe an option?

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was reading on a different forum that if the timing was out that could cause water to be sucked in through the exhaust. would this be true? I removed my exhaust manifold and that seems to not leak so timing maybe an option?

No.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Yes it’s possible on a marine engine, but very very rare at cranking speeds.

If your worried about the timing. Leave the spark plugs out and connect the wires to a spark tester. Now crank the engine and use your timing light to check the timing.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
you must have other issues, whats the psi of the pump? if more than 7 could be blowing past the carb - when u crank and motor is not running, if u see fuel dripping down the nozzle(s) your carb is bad and needs to be rebuilt.. you probably have the solex 44PA1 probably.. VERY basic carb.. are u sure its water? either drain the carb or take it off and give it a good spray thru the jets with carb cleaner and re install..