Re-sealing a DP-SM outdrive

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have leak in my outdrive- there was milky oil when i drained it. I am going to reseal it. I have a service manual and I bought both the upper and lower seal kit (VP# 3850594 & 3856002) and the 3855955 spanner. I want to tear it apart and inspect everything and change all the seals. What other special tools are needed? I don't plan on changing any bearings or gears- unless needed. Drive ran and shifted fine just had water in it and is leaking. It is off an 2001 and had 330 hours on it. I figured i would go thru it all. How hard is this job? I believe I have to set the rolling torque- just rather not get into setting up gear lash/patterns. I have already pulled the drive and separated the upper and lower halves.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was going to buy the 3855955 level 1 tool kit -till I saw the $700 price tag too.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have also just received my 3855877 and the lower seal kit, However my boat is under storage until the spring.
Please let me know how you get on and pass on any tips please.
PS. best of luck!

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where did you get the spanner tool 3855877? I ordered it and was called yesterday and told it is backordered from volvo and there is no ETA on it. No one seems to have it in stock.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I also ordered it online from a Volvo agent in Rosas in Spain, after a week he called to say it was on back order etc., Then another week later he called to say it had arrived.
I had told him I was in no hurry but would need it by May. It is new and in it's box.
Best of luck.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
gentlemen:
I've been working on my Cobra outdrive quite a while and have replaced a few seals over the years. I would most likely leave the job to a trained mechanic if it involved resetting rolling torque or something of that level of precision. Why not do a pressure test first with soapy water to see where the leaks are? There are certain seals you can replace without needing special tools and it may turn out that your leak is relatively simple to repair. I would do that first.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am a skilled tradesman -electrician and do all my own work, unless it's under warranty. I have built motors, truck, quads, sleds, motorcycles, etc.. I grew up on a farm my dad is a mechanic, I am just new to boats. I always buy a factory service manual and factory specialized tools. I have done truck rear ends too. Honestly would rather do the work myself. Just looking for some tips

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ahh in that case you already have the skill set to do these jobs and if you are going keep the boat a long time it makes sense to get the tools, I'd also get a factory shop manual. I have one for my Cobra and its excellent.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I have serviced my own drive on many occasions and your mechanical background is more expansive than mine. I would first start with the pressure and vacuum tests with soapy water to try to pinpoint the bad seal. Then at a minimum replace that seal. After that, and the knowledge gained you can begin to tackle the other seals for replacement on a maintenance basis.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have rebuilt two of the DP-SM outdrives. This included replacing all seals, bearings and shims. Yes, the complete rebuild is greatly facilitated by having the factory tools but most of the tools are for doing the bearing and shim work. It has been a while, since I did these but as I recall the seal replacement was fairly simple once the outter ring is removed and the bearing carrier pulled out. The spanner discussed really makes removing and replacing that ring very easy. The workshop manual provides the procedure along with the torque values. You may also need a dial test indicator to do this correctly.

ynotrepairs

Recruit
I was wonder how you make out with the rebuild. I'm in the process of rebuilding mind. I have it all torn down.
You will need the spanner tool as state above. And you will need to reset the backlash. As you stated if you have a mechanic skill Is not that difficult. I will post pictures of the seals replacement when Im done. I couldn't find any posts of a tear down of the Volvo DP-sm drive anywhere.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks ynot. I couldn't find anything online either. I am still waiting on the spanner tool.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was wonder how you make out with the rebuild. I'm in the process of rebuilding mind. I have it all torn down.
You will need the spanner tool as state above. And you will need to reset the backlash. As you stated if you have a mechanic skill Is not that difficult. I will post pictures of the seals replacement when Im done. I couldn't find any posts of a tear down of the Volvo DP-sm drive anywhere.

You are using the factory drive manual, correct?

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I do not have the URL handy, but I was able to download it off the web for free. It has everything in it you will need to do this job including the proper tools, torque settings, etc. Would not attempt without the manual and factory tools unless you are a trained and experienced tech on these drives.