engine alignment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine alignment

Installed a Volvo Penta AQAD 40B engine, mounted to a dual prop stern drive, need to know how to align. from what I have researched I think the only way is to remove the drive and use a alignment bar. Also need information on disassemble of stern drive. Thanks.

Welcome Aboard!

I think your model does not align the way your research results may show based on that one sentence. You probably have a 280DP or 290DP drive, from mid 1980's ? While you may need to remove the drive to simplify the effort, the alignment procedure is quite a bit different than the later VP models (and most Mercruiser models) that use the alignment bar, some say simpler. Yours has no gimbal bearing, instead has a primary driveshaft in a housing that attaches to the engine and transom assemblies.

There have been some recent posts in this section on this very subject, a good search on your drive model should provide some interesting results.

2002 Bryant 188 4.3MPI

Comment

The diameter of a #2 pencil eraser between the conical ring and transom shield will do the job.
      Kenner, Louisiana 1980 Donzi 18'. 2+3 6.2 MPI Alpha 1

Comment

Thank you Maclin and kenny, I did find a lot if very useful information, first time on site, very good. Thanks again.

Comment

half a wooden close pin works too. you can use a tape measure if you want as well. just make sure all three nubs are within 1.5mm (0.060") of each other.
          Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
          1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
          2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
          1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

OK, got the alignment information I needed, now the boat is on a trailer, the owner wants to be sure both engines will start and run, how long can I run without raw water, just need couple minutes.

Comment

Things that fry in order by quickest with no water...

1.) Impeller in raw water pump. If it is old already then it could come apart very soon if ran dry, and you have to chase pieces of it throughout the system. A new impeller will age very rapidly, 2 minutes is too long if completely dry.

2.) Rubber exhaust hoses that run from exhaust manifold to the Y-pipe. Over 2 minutes will stress them in my opinion.

3.) The engine can run a little longer than that with out water, will not overheart.
              2002 Bryant 188 4.3MPI

Comment

Originally posted by wrightdj View Post
                how long can I run without raw water, just need couple minutes.
                you CANNOT run without water without frying the impeller and the exhaust hoses.

use the muffs and run the motor, do not forget to plug the bottom pickup with a cork.
                Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Thank you Maclin and Scott, I will not run the engine without the raw water.

Comment

Only takes a minute to remove the water intake pipe under the raw water impellar housing and put a hose in it's place,
                    rags help to get a better "seal "

just a question
                    do you prime the basket with a bucket of water before starting the motor?

Comment

Working...
                    X