VP 5.7 GXI-j Setting Distributor T

alldodge

Staff member
While I sometimes see them posted online, the only way I know of is thru a dealer.

If you can tell us what the bulletin number is, maybe we can find it. I would sure like to find it for future reference since its the gold standard

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
If you can tell us what the bulletin number is, maybe we can find it. I would sure like to find it for future reference since its the gold standard

The use of the scan tool to check cam retard is something that's covered in the advanced diagnostic class to speed up the troubleshooting process. The use of a scan tool isn't to tell you whats wrong (because it rarely does) it's to tell you what's right so you can narrow down the search for the cause of the problem. It works because the tool see's the same info that the ECM uses.

The service bulletin that most mechanics use is MerCruiser 2011-11R2. MerCruiser had problems with these first and came up with a tool you can build to account for engine wear when indexing the HVS. If you like learning about this stuff this is a very good bulletin with a lot of info in it.

alldodge

Staff member
I have 2011-11R2 but it doesn't use the scan tool, other then to check for miss fire

Edit: and its the CDS G3 tool

Click image for larger version  Name:	miss.jpg Views:	1 Size:	101.1 KB ID:	10687895

It does discuss the Position Indicator Light for setting 0 degree and how to build one

muc

The dealers scan tool will not help the dealer either installing the distributor correctly.

This isn't correct.
If the dealer follows service manual VPA 7743614 English 03-2016 page 73

9. Install the distributor cap.
10. Install the new distributor cap screws. Tighten the screws to 2.4
Nm (21 in. lb.)
11. Install the electrical connector to the distributor.
12. Install the spark plug wires to the distributor cap.
13. Install the ignition coil wire to the distributor cap
Important: If the malfunction indicator lamp illuminates
after installing the distributor and a DTC is set, the distributor
has been installed incorrectly.
Check the cam angle with a scan tool to ensure the
cam angle is correct.
14. Install the engine cover. See “Engine Cover” on page 55.

What I was trying to get across to BRICH1260 Was that while the use of a scan tool to index the HVS is recommended by Volvo I haven't found it necessary. Iv'e replaced more than a few HVS's and found that following the instructions for the initial install gets it close enough.
Also tried to point out that following MerCruisers instructions that you posted with a possible final adjustment using the $10.00 tool that is in the service bulletin I quoted. Would be a lot cheaper than buying a scan tool or going to a dealer for just this job.

The trouble with the Volvo manual is that they want you to mark the HVS before it's removed. And we all know that most people don't want to read the instructions, until it's too late. This is why so many people post the MerCruiser instructions for this job.

Also I don't think it's a good idea to regap the spark plugs like aimlow recommends. It ruins the platinum coating and doesn't provide any benefit on this engine.

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't overthink this..it's all about the rotor pointing to the plug terminal at the correct time. Brich's method is perfect. Retard the distributor base a few degrees so at 30 degrees advance you are close to having the terminal/rotor line up.

These things are crank fired. There is nothing in the distributor which affects performance. It's literally just a spark distributor.

Last edited by a moderator:

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Thanks for all the good information guys. I again removed the distributor and went through the entire distributor alignment process from scratch again an I do feel confident that I am close enough that the engine will fire and run. I will probably purchase the Rinda Techmate scanner to dial in the cam retard once the motor is installed in the boat. Unfortunately, I will have to wait a couple more months as the boat hull is still in storage while the engine is in my residential garage. Thanks again for your help.

muc

I highly recommend that you run the engine on the floor before you put it back in the boat. Engines are built by humans and we sometimes make mistakes. Best to find those while the engine is out.

Have you determined what caused the first engine to fail and corrected it? I have had more than a few 2nd engines brought to me because they still don’t run right after a owner installed a new longblock. One time he and his auto mechanic buddy had run the engine so much with a bad injector that they had burned another piston. The longblock warranty doesn’t cover that. And no mechanic wants to have to look a customer in the eyes and tell them they just flushed a couple of grand down the toilet.

Last edited by a moderator:

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I`ve got a follow up question. My distributor is installed in what I believe to be the correct setting at TDC. I took an old cap and drilled a 1" hole right next to #1 cap terminal and installed it on the distributor. I can see the rotor and cap post clearly, they are lined up.

For an initial setting, before using a scan tool to set retard, should the two be perfectly centered, lined up with each other or is it best to slightly rotate the cap so that the rotor is slightly offset to the advance or retard side of the cap post.

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I`ve got a follow up question. My distributor is installed in what I believe to be the correct setting at TDC. I took an old cap and drilled a 1" hole right next to #1 cap terminal and installed it on the distributor. I can see the rotor and cap post clearly, they are lined up.

For an initial setting, before using a scan tool to set retard, should the two be perfectly centered, lined up with each other or is it best to slightly rotate the cap so that the rotor is slightly offset to the advance or retard side of the cap post.

You have identified THE issue, and "cam retard" doesn't address this. You want to RETARD the distributor base a few degree, so as the spark timing advances, the rotor and terminal line up better. Split the difference. It's counter-intuitive no doubt, but think about it. As timing advances, the spark occurs sooner.

I like your method best. Forget all the scan tool crap.

"Cam retard" told the computer which 360 degree rotation the engine was on, so the sequential fuel injection was clocked correctly.

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Regapping the plug gap reduces the voltage to fire the plug, reducing the likelyhood of crossfire. It'd GM's spec, not mine, and it's THEIR POS distributor.