Volvo 5.7 GI-E with no spark

lcmoniz

Cadet
Bought a boat with a volvo Penta 5,7 GIE , I live in Angola not a lot of help from locals ...
Engine doesn't start, no spark , when turn on ignition it gives 12 v for a few seconds in the positive wire and no more Voltage even when cranking the engine. any help ?

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought a boat with a volvo Penta 5,7 GIE , I live in Angola not a lot of help from locals ...
Engine doesn't start, no spark , when turn on ignition it gives 12 v for a few seconds in the positive wire and no more Voltage even when cranking the engine. any help ?

That appears to be the dreaded CSFI injected motor with the flat topped distributor. Entire ignition is computer controlled, crank fired.

alldodge

Staff member
When the motor is cranking, do you see the tachometer move to around 300 rpm?
Do you hear the fuel pump come ON for a couple seconds when key is turned ON?

lcmoniz

Cadet
Yes the rpm is around 300 rpm .
when I turn ignition on I can hear the fuel pump working ! I can’t find a wiring diagram for this engine, the ignition coil only have 2 wires a pink one and a yellow with green line the pink one is the same to the injectors and tested the continuity and it’s ok . The previous owner told me that he replaced all the sensors because was not starting.

Attachments

• 09520F91-B336-47D1-86B5-BD4438D36CD6.jpeg
    09520F91-B336-47D1-86B5-BD4438D36CD6.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 3

alldodge

Staff member
Seeing 300 rpm indicates the ECM is receiving input from the distributor. This input is needed for the ECM to pulse the injectors. With Key ON there the ignition relay (item 14) should energize and send power to the coil and ECM. The circuit also powers the injectors on the pink/white wire.

Check for 12V on the injectors

GI.jpg

lcmoniz

Cadet
The wiring diagram is not that one, it looks more like the one attached but but ignition coil connector has 2 wires only and the ignition coil 3 pins .
There is 12 volts in the injectors only when turning on the ignition , when cranking it drops to 0 as the injectors and coil share the same line .
This engine is direct injection .

Attachments

• c.pdf
    567.3 KB · Views: 19

alldodge

Staff member
Loosing 12V when cranking (Pink/White wire)
This is caused by the relay dropping out (bad relay) or ignition key switch not supplying 12V (purple wire) to the relay while cranking.

lcmoniz

Cadet
Already did a direct connection in the rellay and still the same situation , will check the ignition key.
the kill switch can be a cause as well ? i can see this in the wiring diagram ?

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Already did a direct connection in the rellay and still the same situation , will check the ignition key.
the kill switch can be a cause as well ? i can see this in the wiring diagram ?

Yes the kill switch can be the problem. On my boat, the kill switch is very sensitive. If I move around and my pants barely touch it, I don't realize it and when I try to start the engine, it cranks but never starts.

I just replace the plastic on the switch, and the engine starts right away.

If you have access, you can jump the kill switch wires for a test.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree if kill switch was the issue there would be 0 V, but this would also mean that you would not find 12V on the purple, pink /white or relay when key was turned to ON. The kill switch breaks the purple feed coming from the ignition switch

lcmoniz

Cadet
so that mean that can be the ignition key ...or something else , the Volvo diagnostic tool doesnt find any error

alldodge

Staff member
It can be the ignition switch IF the purple wire off the key goes to 0V when turned to start

lcmoniz

Cadet
Solved ! it was the new crankshaft sensor, replaced with the old one and its working . thanks for the inputs

alldodge

Staff member
Great to hear, but the crankshaft sensor will not kill or remove 12V

when turn on ignition it gives 12 v for a few seconds in the positive wire and no more Voltage even when cranking the engine.

lcmoniz

Cadet
I dont understant what was killing the 12 volts . but now after replacing the sensor is reading 12 volts ..