Volvo XDP needs new U joints

Steiger 25

Cadet
New to the forum, My name is Jim, I have a 2004 Volvo XDP u joints need replacement. I had a little vibration when steering toward the end of this season. I pulled the drive and found the u joints binding a little. Volvo says not serviceable. Not sure how to proceed, looking for advice.

Thalasso

Commander
Take them off and go to a Napa store. They will mic them and give you what you need.
Just did mine on a DPS-A.
There are inner or outer C clips depending on which one you have

Steiger 25

Cadet
I appreciate the response. It has outer c clips. I am not at the boat right now. Do you know if i can replace the u joints without disassembling the drive? (pulling bearing carrier) It seemed the work space was a little tight. I don't want to get in over my head, I read other posts about marking the parts orientation so the assembly stays balanced.

Thalasso

Commander
I appreciate the response. It has outer c clips. I am not at the boat right now. Do you know if i can replace the u joints without disassembling the drive? (pulling bearing carrier) It seemed the work space was a little tight. I don't want to get in over my head, I read other posts about marking the parts orientation so the assembly stays balanced.

Can you?
Yes it can be done.I removed the joint from the carrier first then worked on it on the work bench.

Edit:
Looked at a pic. of your drive shaft and it seems it's the same as mine. (DPS-A)

Ignore the part about the inner c-clips
https://youtu.be/COce60SK0X0

Last edited:

Steiger 25

Cadet
Thank you Thalasso,

I spoke to one of the local marina service managers who services Volvo. He agreed the U joints can be changed as long as I mark all parts and assemble without mix ups to ensure to keep proper balance. I asked about if it was necessary to remove the assembly from the drive to replace u joints. He said to get to both of them I would need to remove the pinion bearing carrier. He stated I do not need to remove the assembly from the carrier, which would require a new pretension sleeve ( requires rolling torque to be set ). Removal would also require to measure and fit new shims between the carrier and upper gear housing, which I do not want to get involved with.

So according to my internet searches I need to purchase 2 u joints part#3860232, one "O"ring for the carrier and I could reuse the shims between the carrier and gear housing as long as they do not get damaged during disassembly. I'll pull the bearing carrier leaving the assembly intact, to make it easier to work on a bench. A friend of mine has an arbor press to help the install to hopefully go smooth.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have the DP-SM out drive, so might be slightly different. To remove the "U" joint I made a pusher out of scrap 8mm plate and was able to remove the assembly without removing the pinion bearing carrier.
Worked just fine after removing the circlips, reassembly was easy, just use plenty of grease to hold the rollers in the caps in place.

Attachments

• photo305401.jpg
    photo305401.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 6

Steiger 25

Cadet
Thank you dypcdiver, I will certainly try to remove the assembly before I move forward with the removal of the pinion bearing carrier. I appreciate the insight that you and Thalasso have provided.

Steiger 25

Cadet
Just wanted to circle back. I completed the job. I made a press by grinding a large socket flat on one side, with a 5' c clamp to press the u joints on and off. I pulled the u joints and they were toast. It was challenging by myself lining everything up, I was able to do this without pulling the bearing carrier.

Thalasso

Commander
Just wanted to circle back. I completed the job. I made a press by grinding a large socket flat on one side, with a 5' c clamp to press the u joints on and off. I pulled the u joints and they were toast. It was challenging by myself lining everything up, I was able to do this without pulling the bearing carrier.

:thumb: