Volvo Penta AQ131D compression problem

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I tested the compression on the motor this weekend and found my rough idle culprit. Here's the results.

Cylinder 1: 3psi
Cylinder 2: 150psi
Cylinder 3: 120psi
Cylinder 4: 150psi

#1 is a real problem, I'm thinking a broken valve or something
#3 is probably worn piston rings, valve seating issues or something.

This is outside my area of expertise and I lack the special tools to perform this work. Does anyone know a reasonable shop in the southwestern Ontario area that could do this type of work? Can I take it to a regular mechanic or does it have to go to a marine shop?

Any idea what type of price tag I'd be looking at?

Thanks,
Trevor.

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I took the opportunity to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds this weekend to have a look. The exhaust side looks okay. The intake side looks carboned up so I'm thinking it's not sealing. Not sure what to do with this information now but it's interesting. All the valves move when I hand crank the belt drive however I cant move it too much before things tighten up.

Attachments

• photo305439.jpg
    photo305439.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305440.jpg
    photo305440.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305441.jpg
    photo305441.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305442.jpg
    photo305442.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 0

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
I would check to see if the timing belt jumped a tooth.
This can cause compression problems and is easy to fix.

Valves may appear to move, but it is difficult to see if they fully close or seal.

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, a mechanic buddy of mine suggested that because of the carbon and oil deposits in the intake he thinks it's likely a head gasket issue which is probably my best case scenario. He agreed that its difficult to tell if they close properly without pulling the head so I guess I'm playing mechanic for a bit. He gave me pointers on how to position the pulleys so we can get it back together without issues.

The timing belt slipping a tooth I cant see causing compression issues on only 1 cylinder after considering it.

thanks!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
One tooth might do what Dennis suggested?

Why did the belt jump? Old(yes) , pully rusted?
When it jumps, it usually affects the cam pully.

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cam timing would affect each cylinder evenly. Are the valves adjustable on that engine? Is that the little Volvo engine, or a Ford engine? The little Volvo engine was a pushrod engine.

alldodge

Staff member
Bump the starter around until your on number 1 compression and timing mark lines up on the damper. Now the head can be removed. If all can be freshened up, I would replace the timing belt while your at it

With all the oil and carbon build up, my guess is the valve just will not seal and may be hung up.

alldodge

Staff member
Just thought of something, the motor has a over head cam so doesn't matter where the crankshaft is. Just pull the head and prior to reinstall, move number one piston to TDC. Adjust cam on the head to TDC and install the head.

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, I'll pay special attention to this on reassembly!

It is the little pushrod. it's a 4 cylinder overhead cam and the cam bolts are separate from the head bolts so the head can be removed without removing the cam which is really nice! I just have to remove everything around the head. I have the intake and exhaust off obviously, next is the innercooler, then belt, then head. Sounds easy right? :)

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, I'll pay special attention to this on reassembly!

It is the little pushrod. it's a 4 cylinder overhead cam and the cam bolts are separate from the head bolts so the head can be removed without removing the cam which is really nice! I just have to remove everything around the head. I have the intake and exhaust off obviously, next is the innercooler, then belt, then head. Sounds easy right? :)

Pushrod engine preceded yours. I looked it up..you have a later model OHC engine. Like dodge says, stuff is lined up after assembly. New belt, tensioner, water pump. good to go.

If you had defective compression rings there would be massive blowby from the crankcase.

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Compression ring, Is that on the piston? Admittedly I hadn't thought of replacing the water pump. the tensioner I was planning on inspecting and re-installing. Parts for this thing are harder to find and expensive when you do. I can find some on E-bay but the shipping usually kills me being in Canada.

*Edit*
Found the compression ring in the manual, it's on the piston. If it's that I'm not sure what I'll do. The reason is that if it's a broken compression ring it's probably damaged the cylinder wall and gets into tearing apart the whole lower section, crankshaft, etc... I'm a woodworker not a mechanic. I'll jump off that bridge if I get to it but I'm seriously hoping it's just the gasket!

Thanks,
Trevor.

Last edited:

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Compression ring, Is that on the piston? Admittedly I hadn't thought of replacing the water pump. the tensioner I was planning on inspecting and re-installing. Parts for this thing are harder to find and expensive when you do. I can find some on E-bay but the shipping usually kills me being in Canada.

*Edit*
Found the compression ring in the manual, it's on the piston. If it's that I'm not sure what I'll do. The reason is that if it's a broken compression ring it's probably damaged the cylinder wall and gets into tearing apart the whole lower section, crankshaft, etc... I'm a woodworker not a mechanic. I'll jump off that bridge if I get to it but I'm seriously hoping it's just the gasket!

Thanks,
Trevor.

The point is..if it was a compression ring issue, there would be so much blowby the engine would probably leaking oil everywhere.

kenny nunez

Captain
2Xs with Aimlow’s opinion. The only thing this points to is an exhaust valve problem. If this was a pushrod style engine I would be thinking about a worn intake cam lobe if the valves were not burned.
There are shims under the “buckets” that ride on the cam which sets valve lash. Make sure that the clearances are in spec after the cam is installed back on the head.

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got the head off the motor. No slop in the pistons, cylinders look amazing. Going to get the head tested tomorrow. Surprisingly the head gasket looked good as well. I'll let you guys know how the head test goes.

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the head off the motor. No slop in the pistons, cylinders look amazing. Going to get the head tested tomorrow. Surprisingly the head gasket looked good as well. I'll let you guys know how the head test goes.

NEVER! reuse a head gasket. Must be a valve issue.

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry, rereading that I can see how you could read it that way. I dont plan on reusing any of the gaskets. Just hurts the pocketbook. Head gasket alone is $170 Canadian for aftermarket.

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Pictures...

Attachments

• photo305576.jpg
    photo305576.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305577.jpg
    photo305577.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305578.jpg
    photo305578.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305579.jpg
    photo305579.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305580.jpg
    photo305580.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 0

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What happened to #1 plug?? Light colored valves mean the cylinder temperature is good. You've got 2 lazy cylinders.