2002 5.7 Volvo glxi electronic throttle issues

izzy g

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys, I haven't been here for a while but I know that when I need the guru's help this is the place!.
i need help trying to figure out what I need to do next. The boat is a 2002 Bayliner 2950 command bridge with the electronic shifter on both stations .we we're on our way back from fishing and went to the gas station to fill up. After we filled up the motor wouldn't start or even crank so we used the kicker to get back to the dock. The next day I opened up the control module for the shift and throttle control and it's a microcommander 585ce serial number ZB16620. I noticed the one of the four little timing belts had snapped. I ordered all four new ones and I replaced them. The boat starts and shifts just fine but it if I go over 2500rpm it starts to make like a white steam or smoke type so I stopped there and I really need some pointers. Any help will be greatly appreciated giys..it's fuel injected so I'm just guessing that it needs to be mapped or something..cheers.izzy

alldodge

Staff member
microcommander 585ce serial number ZB16620. I noticed the one of the four little timing belts had snapped.

Downloaded several manuals for the 585CE but have been unable to find any belts it the system

izzy g

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the quick reply! I downloaded the manual as well and the belts are internal like a computer! I think there is a way to reset the trottle now but I'm not too sure! The mdule alone is like 3500 USD and we know it works fine the belts just got old and worn. I will load a few pictures.

Thalasso

Commander
Hi guys, I haven't been here for a while but I know that when I need the guru's help this is the place!.
i need help trying to figure out what I need to do next. The boat is a 2002 Bayliner 2950 command bridge with the electronic shifter on both stations .we we're on our way back from fishing and went to the gas station to fill up. After we filled up the motor wouldn't start or even crank so we used the kicker to get back to the dock. The next day I opened up the control module for the shift and throttle control and it's a microcommander 585ce serial number ZB16620. I noticed the one of the four little timing belts had snapped. I ordered all four new ones and I replaced them. The boat starts and shifts just fine but it if I go over 2500rpm it starts to make like a white steam or smoke type so I stopped there and I really need some pointers. Any help will be greatly appreciated giys..it's fuel injected so I'm just guessing that it needs to be mapped or something..cheers.izzy

Forgot to ask. Diesel or gas?

You might have other issues then the shifter. How much steam/smoke? What was the air temp when it happened? What is the engine temp when this happens?
Some inboards will steam/smoke out of one or the exhaust depending on air temp.If it dissipated quickly then it is steam (can often be attributed to restricted or not enough water flow).

Last edited: