Volvo Penta AQ151B Cheaper Rebuild option

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo Penta AQ151B Cheaper Rebuild option

Hello All, I have stumbled across a rebuild option that is considerably cheaper than V/P parts (if there even available). You can purchase 145mm forged h-beam connecting rods ($200 set of 4) for the B230 Volvo engine, forged Weisco or similar pistons ($500-600 set of 4 with rings and pins and oversize available) and have the deck shaved .039" while its in for bore/hone job. A higher performance, roughly 9.2:1 ratio (91+ octane fuel) engine is the result. You may also need to purchase an adjustable cam pulley ($90) to get the timing perfect. This with a weber carb should get you about 175-180HP. I am in the process of doing this myself for both my engines with the only exception being I am running a slightly lower C/R due to running superchargers (Eaton M45's, 220-230HP output).Yes, I do realize a V8 conversion makes more sense but I do not have the clearance from exhaust manifold to manifold (even with 60° Ford Windsor's); so superchargers it is.

A correction to the above, the pistons are not stock type Volvo B230 pistons. They are considered "stroker" pistons in Europe and are mildly custom (although available off the shelf)

Comment

Working...
    X