99 Volvo Penta 5.7 GSI PWTR

Spikedinaz

Recruit
Got the high pressure fuel pump whine...... Have replaced; HP Fuel pump, low pressure fuel filter/water separator, regulator, throttle position sensor, coil, cap, rotor, plugs & plug wires. Whine gone, idles ok (but higher than used to be) but dies soon as given throttle. Last check it was not throwing any codes. Do not wanna keep throwing parts at it. Any ideas??

Spikedinaz

Recruit
99 Volvo Penta 5.7 GSI PWTR Idle ok dies when given gas

High pressure fuel pump began whining sp Replaced: high pressure fuel pump, low pressure fuel filter/water seperator, regulator, coil, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires & throttle position sensor. Any ideas? Idles ok yet higher RPM but when given any throttle dies, sometimes backfires. Any ideas?

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Hi, welcome to the board.
Wow, lots of parts. Did any of these parts test bad?
Might be better to list the testing you have done.
What service manual are you using.

muc

Hi, welcome to the board.
Wow, lots of parts. Did any of these parts test bad?
Might be better to list the testing you have done.
What service manual are you using.

Yup, I love double posts ------- get to hear my voice twice as often.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thought I head an Echo. Alexa, did I? :smile:

Both threads are now one.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
See if you can get a shot of another diz cap. I bought a brand new one this year and it failed out the box. No visual signs of damage or cracking. Just failed. No sprark getting to the no7.

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Flat topped cap? Distributor is out of phase.

"Throwing parts" at a problem is not the way to solve it.

muc

Engine should have come with the prestolite BID distributor. Wasn't a great system, but bad caps wasn't one of it's issues. The Delco EST is the factory recommend replacement.

Not even sure why we are talking about dist. caps on a BID system. Whats wrong with you people? Repeat after me IAC, IAC, IAC (even though he has the most reliable one out there).

My guess is the OP is hoping for a quick and simple fix. But he has the VST fuel system and anytime somebody tells me they replaced the fuel pressure regulator on one of those ----- well lets just say "it's never pretty"

Switching to a carb might be the cheapest option for this ------- if you don't want or just can't do the troubleshooting needed on EFI.;