No announcement yet.

Can’t get my boat engine to start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I buy the rebuild kit and rebuild it myself. When I put it back on the motor do I need to make adjustments for the idle and speed or how does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by JordanHorstman View Post
      If I buy the rebuild kit and rebuild it myself. When I put it back on the motor do I need to make adjustments for the idle and speed or how does that work?
      Ewww..if you have to ask these questions, I wouldn't rebuild the carb by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanHorstman View Post
        Yes, and not a big issue. Pay close attention to the instructions and how to measure during rebuild. Pay close attention to the small channels in the carb, they need to be clean. Find a thin wire to run thru them.

Once done, turn idle screws (gently) all the way in, then back out 2 1/2 turns. This will be a good place to start the dile mixer adjustment. Get the motor warmed up, set idle and adjust/check timing.

Once there turn the mixer screw in one at a time no more then 1/4 turn each time. Let motor settle and continue in (1/4 at a time) until the motor starts running rough, not where it is and back out 1/4 turn. Now turn the other screw the same way as first.

Make sure idle is at correct rpm and you should be good for a water test
        94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
        95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
        07 Seadoo GTX
        Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
        G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

If it's an aftermarket electric fuel pump it's probably between 5 & 8psi (automotive standard). You'll need a fuel pressure regulator added in-line and set between 3 & 5 psi. You can buy the Mr. Gasket or Holley for around $30, either of them work fine. If you purchase the Holley you will also need to buy a gauge, the Mr. Gasket has the settings embossed.

Comment

I saw something about the prop spinning in neutral... Is it possible that when you reinstalled the outdrive that you somehow have the outdrive stuck in gear? That could cause issues with starting...

Comment

Working...
            X