Can’t get my boat engine to start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can’t get my boat engine to start

I’m having trouble getting my boat to start. It’s a 1999 Volvo Penta 4.3GLPWTR V6. I changed the spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor and started the boat up just fine and it ran fine. I put the throttle down a little and noticed my prop wasn’t spinning so I shut the boat off and pulled the outdrive off my boat. I got the outdrive repaired and I put it back in my boat. Went to start it up to test the outdrive and now the boat won’t start. The engine will turn over but not start. I checked the spark plugs and I’m getting spark. I checked the fuel pump and that is working fine. When I prime the engine to start it I can look down into the carb and see the fuel being dumped into it. I checked the fuel filter/water separater and there was no water in it. Tried spraying starting fluid on the carb and it still won’t start. When I do that I get the engine to putt a couple times when I’m cranking it but it won’t start. I dumped fresh gas in the top of the carb and I could get it to putt a couple times again but not start. So it shouldn’t be bad gas since the fresh Thought maybe I fouled the plugs so I replaced the spark plugs again but that didn’t change anything. The only thing that changed when I had it running last was taking the outdrive off and had it repaired and then put back on. That shouldn’t be why the engine won’t start. So I’m getting spark and gas. I don’t know what else to try. Any ideas?

welcome aboard

are your batteries fully charged? if the motor doesnt spin fast enough, it wont start.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by JordanHorstman View Post
      I’m having trouble getting my boat to start. It’s a 1999 Volvo Penta 4.3GLPWTR V6. I changed the spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor and started the boat up just fine and it ran fine. I put the throttle down a little and noticed my prop wasn’t spinning so I shut the boat off and pulled the outdrive off my boat. I got the outdrive repaired and I put it back in my boat. Went to start it up to test the outdrive and now the boat won’t start. The engine will turn over but not start. I checked the spark plugs and I’m getting spark. I checked the fuel pump and that is working fine. When I prime the engine to start it I can look down into the carb and see the fuel being dumped into it. I checked the fuel filter/water separater and there was no water in it. Tried spraying starting fluid on the carb and it still won’t start. When I do that I get the engine to putt a couple times when I’m cranking it but it won’t start. I dumped fresh gas in the top of the carb and I could get it to putt a couple times again but not start. So it shouldn’t be bad gas since the fresh Thought maybe I fouled the plugs so I replaced the spark plugs again but that didn’t change anything. The only thing that changed when I had it running last was taking the outdrive off and had it repaired and then put back on. That shouldn’t be why the engine won’t start. So I’m getting spark and gas. I don’t know what else to try. Any ideas?
      Time for a professional.

Why would the prop spin in neutral?

Comment

Maybe flooding or not getting spark consistently, or high enough. Check the rotor to see if it is turning when cranking. Then place a timing light on the coil wire and see if your getting consistent flashing. Watch the tach to see if it shows around 300 rpm while cranking. If good pull some plugs and see if they are wet.
        94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
        95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
        07 Seadoo GTX
        Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
        G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
          Maybe flooding or not getting spark consistently, or high enough. Check the rotor to see if it is turning when cranking. Then place a timing light on the coil wire and see if your getting consistent flashing. Watch the tach to see if it shows around 300 rpm while cranking. If good pull some plugs and see if they are wet.
          IS that a carbureted engine?? Which carb?

Comment

Originally posted by aimlow View Post

IS that a carbureted engine?? Which carb?
            Its a GL which makes it a carb, and the Volvo Penta 4.3GLPWTR makes it a 2bbl Holley
            07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post

Its a GL which makes it a carb, and the Volvo Penta 4.3GLPWTR makes it a 2bbl Holley
              Thanks..I don't really follow Volvo's nomenclature.

So if it ran before the work, it's probably something to do WITH the work. Firing order on the cap or plug wires? Turn the distributor and get the timing off?

Comment

Scott Danforth. The barriers are charged. I just bought a brand new one a couple months ago.

Alldodge. I will have to check to see if the rotor is spinning but I am getting spark when I pull the spark plugs out and turn the engine over. Some of the spark plugs are wet when I pull them out

Aimlow. After I changed the spark plugs, distributer cap and rotor the boat started right up and it ran for a few minutes before I shut it off to look at the outdrive. It shouldn’t have started after I replaced those things if there was something wrong with that.

Comment

Plugs wet, your flooding and it normally won't start. Need to rebuild the carb
                  07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Originally posted by JordanHorstman View Post

Aimlow. After I changed the spark plugs, distributer cap and rotor the boat started right up and it ran for a few minutes before I shut it off to look at the outdrive. It shouldn’t have started after I replaced those things if there was something wrong with that.
                    Absolutely correct...didn't catch that. Neutral safety switch?

Comment

Alldodge. My plan was to rebuild the carb this winter because I was having some other issues so hopefully this will fix all of my problems. Thank you.

Aimlow. I checked the safety lanyard and that was on right so it’s not that. Going to rebuild the carb and go from there. Thank you.

Comment

Strange one this. I was thinking the in gear interlock too, but it’s getting a spark.
                        What turned out to be wrong with the drive ? Surely nothing on the engine would have been disturbed. Unless something has been knocked or damaged by the mechanic in the process, if he was around the engine.
                        Does it have an electric fuel pump ? Have a look at that, as well as the auto choke.

Comment

Originally posted by QBhoy View Post
                          Strange one this. I was thinking the in gear interlock too, but it’s getting a spark.
                          What turned out to be wrong with the drive ? Surely nothing on the engine would have been disturbed. Unless something has been knocked or damaged by the mechanic in the process, if he was around the engine.
                          Does it have an electric fuel pump ? Have a look at that, as well as the auto choke.
                          The pinion gear was shredded. All of the teeth were gone. I took the outdrive off myself and brought it to the mechanic so they were not around the motor. It has an electric fuel pump but that is working. From everything I have tried the choke stays closed. I have gas in my oil now. I’m thinking the carb needs to be rebuilt. I think the float is stuck open and allowing to much gas to get in the cylinders and it’s leaking into the oil.

Comment

I think those had Holley Carbs, and the power valves can rupture and dump a couple of fuel bowls worth of fuel directly into the intake plenum floor after shutdown before the residual fuel pressure is relieved. Carb rebuild time.
                            2002 Bryant 188 4.3MPI

Comment

however the carb is after 1992, so there should be an anti-rupture check valve to prevent the power valve diaphragm from rupturing if there is a backfire.

it doesnt mean that a 20 year old fuel system may have other issues. a stuck float would simply pour fuel down the throat. so would a pump output greater than 7psi.
                              Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                              1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                              2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                              1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X