impeller lube

larson260

Seaman
just received a new sea water pump impeller for my 320-ce-b part #22307636. They no longer give a lube tube with it. What is the best lube to use at installation in the spring.

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I second that, k-y works great on alot of mechanical items.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
And yes.,.the cashier at walmart will look at you funny when you walk up to the counter with gear lube and ky jelly

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Yes, I always wondered why they would include a package of glycerin with the impeller when it would be cheaper to give you soap or KY or petroleum jelly?

More fake news?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not all impeller kits come with the glycerin

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn't use petroleum jelly on anything rubber that you care about. Depending on the rubber compound of the impeller, it can act as a solvent and degrade the rubber.

muc

I wouldn't use petroleum jelly on anything rubber that you care about. Depending on the rubber compound of the impeller, it can act as a solvent and degrade the rubber.

I agree.
But if your going to launch the boat and give it a good long run right after the impeller job, I really don’t think it makes much difference what you use. It’s when the impeller is going to sit for awhile that what you use is important.

muc

not all impeller kits come with the glycerin

Yes I’ve noticed that to. But if you go straight to the pump manufacturer for the impeller they still come with it.
Johnson makes Volvo pumps.

and you can buy a bottle glycerin pretty cheap, especially if you compare it to how well it works and how long it lasts

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
The same grease you use on the hubs of your trailer.
Been using it for 30+

I that is true, then that seems much safer since boats often site long periods between runnings. If the hub and prop were coated with marine grease it would provide boundary lubrication for quite awhile before it all got washed out. But again, I'd be concerned about petroleum degrading the rubber. I know most lake water has chemicals in it anyway but in lower concentrations than smearing it directly on the impeller. Can anyone else say they've used this method...When I replaced my impeller I became irritated with how poorly I could get the glycerin to "stay" well enough to protect upon the first startup. I was squeezing every last mili-ounce out of that little packet.